Setting and calibrating the proximity sensor on Xiaomi devices
Each smartphone consists of dozens of parts, sensors and elements responsible for the various functions of the device. One such part is the proximity sensor. Often people are faced with a violation of its work: the sensor is buggy, does not work, or has ceased to function at all. What to do in these and other situations you will learn from this article.
What is Xiaomi proximity sensor and what is it responsible for
The proximity sensor or, as it is also called, the light sensor is responsible for approaching, or rather for turning off the screen during a telephone conversation and for adjusting the brightness level.
Sometimes the question comes: “Where is the proximity sensor?”. In fact, the word “sensor” is rather arbitrary, denoting the presence of a special sensor in the design of the device next to the front camera and the earpiece.
Disruption of this function has many inconveniences. For example, during a conversation, you can accidentally press unwanted buttons or completely reset the call. If the proximity sensor does not work, the phone, being in your pocket, may involuntarily perform any action or call someone, guided by the touch of the screen on the clothes.
Causes of Trouble
Speaking about the appearance of a sensor problem, it is possible to identify some cases that have problems. The main part relates to the settings inside the phone.
- Sensor function disabled;
- Activation of unnecessary options;
- Wrong film or protective glass. Operation may be impaired if there is no special hole on the glass or film for the talk speaker or front camera. In this situation, you just need to change the protective material.
- Incorrect operation of the device itself. Only in this case will you have to calibrate the sensor
Now we will deal with each case separately.
How to turn on the proximity sensor: troubleshoot
The first two problems require just going to the settings and doing a simple job. Be sure to study these sections in the settings, without going to calibration right away. everything may turn out to be easier than you think.
Turn on the function of the light sensor:
- Go to the “Phone” application and open the menu located at the top right (three points);
Xiaomi Proximity Sensor
- Click on the “Settings” field, then you will get to the call settings, where you need to scroll down the page and find the “Incoming Calls” section. go there;
- Find the “Proximity Sensor” field and pay attention to its status;
- If the option is disabled. enable;
You can also adjust the operation of the sensor by disabling the extra function. a lock in your pocket.
This can disrupt sensory processes.
Turn off the lock in your pocket:
- You again need to get into the call menu via the Phone application;
Video: Xiaomi Redmi 6 Proximity Sensor Where It Is
- There, in the “Incoming Calls” tab, there is the “Lock in Pocket” option, which should be disabled;
Please note that the “Lock in Pocket” function is not present on all Xiaomi models or is located elsewhere. As a rule, these are old versions of smartphones. For example, on Xiaomi Redmi 3, Xiaomi Redmi 4 and Xiaomi Redmi 5 models, the path to this option will be different.
Another way to prevent unwanted clicks on Xiaomi:
- Open “Settings” and scroll through the page a little;
- Open the “Lock screen” section and activate the “Prevent accidental clicks” function;
If none of the above sensor tuning methods helped you, we move on to more time-consuming operations.
Proximity Sensor Calibration
Calibration is a fairly serious process that requires utmost care, as it is carried out through the engineering and main menu, that is, you will deal directly with the hardware.
First, check if the sensor works:
- First, call the engineering menu. This is done like this: in the dialing of the phone number (the “Phone” application), enter the following combination: “## 6484 ##”. After that, the following functionality appears on the screen:
Xiaomi Proximity Sensor. Calibration
- Select “Single item Test”, then. “Proximity Sensor”;
- A test will appear on the screen, during which when the finger is close to the screen (to the speaker of the conversation), the corresponding inscription will be: “Close”, and in the distance “Far”. If you saw this, then everything is in order. You can proceed with the calibration. Otherwise, contact the service center.
Calibration is the same for all models: Xiaomi Mi 6, Xiaomi Redmi 3, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Xiaomi Redmi 4x, etc.
- Turn off the phone;
- Now you need to call the Main Menu. To do this, simultaneously hold down the volume up and power buttons. After the vibrating signal, release the power button, but continue to hold the volume control key until the Xiaomi logo appears.
- If the opened functionality is in Chinese, translate it into English. click the “中文” button, located to the right of the “download” key.
Xiaomi proximity sensor. manual
- To open the engineering menu, press the topmost button;
- Next, click on the “Proximity Sensor”.
- Position the gadget horizontally, putting it on something even, it is also worth it to fully open, clean, rid the sensor of bright light.
- To start calibration, press the Calibration key.
- At the end of the process, “Successfully” appears, and then you are prompted to check the sensor.
- Exit the menu and turn on the phone.
As practice shows, work must be restored.
Another rare but present cause of sensor malfunctions can be sensor malfunctions. To fix this, you can also make a calibration, which is much simpler and faster than the previous one.
It is recommended to remove protective glasses and films during calibration
- Call the engineering menu as described above;
- Find the “TouchPanel” function;
- The smartphone will offer instructions that should be followed by swiping your fingers across the screen;
- At the end of the work you will receive a notification;
Xiaomi Proximity Sensor
- Turn on the device;
Use the special applications available on the Play Market: Display Calibration, TouchScreen Calibration, etc.
How to disable the proximity sensor
To disable the sensor, cancel all the functions mentioned at the very beginning.
If calibration didn’t help
However, in some situations, problems do not go away.
This may occur for the following reasons:
- Defective smartphone;
- Incorrect flashing;
- There was a replacement display. Perhaps a new display that you have installed low-quality or new;
- Other individual situations.
Here it is already worth contacting directly to the place of purchase, to the service center or to those who carried out your screen replacement.