This article describes which power adapter, cable, and plug are suitable for your Mac laptop.
Power adapters are available for Mac laptops with 29, 30, 45, 60, 61, 85, 87, and 96 watts. For each Mac laptop, it is recommended that you use an appropriate power adapter. Using a compatible power adapter with a higher power will not interfere with the operation of the computer, but the charging time will not be reduced, nor will the performance increase. If you use a lower power adapter than the one supplied with your Mac, the latter will run out of power.
Mac laptops charging via USB-C come with an Apple USB-C power adapter with a removable power plug (or plug adapter) and a USB-C cable for charging.
Mac laptops charging via MagSafe come with a power adapter with a MagSafe connector, a removable plug adapter, and a power cable.
The images below show the adapter types for each MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. If you don’t know the model of your Mac laptop, see the articles below.
29W or 30W Apple USB-C Power Adapter and USB-C Charging Cable
- MacBook models introduced in 2015 or later
30W Apple USB-C Power Adapter and USB-C Charging Cable
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2018 or later
61W Apple USB-C Power Adapter and USB-C Charging Cable
Video: Which Charges Fit For Iphone
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016) and later
87W Apple USB-C Power Adapter and USB-C Charging Cable
- 15-inch MacBook Pro models introduced in 2016 or later
96W Apple USB-C Power Adapter and USB-C Charging Cable
- 16-inch MacBook Pro models introduced in 2019
Checking USB-C Charging Cable Compatibility
For optimal charging results, you should use the USB-C charging cable that came with your Mac laptop. If you use a higher-power USB-C cable, the Mac will charge as usual, but the charging speed will not increase. USB-C cables rated at 29 or 30 watts are compatible with any USB-C power adapter, but do not provide enough power when connected to a power adapter with a power of more than 30 watts, such as a 61-watt USB-C power adapter.
You can check whether the Apple USB-C cable is suitable for use with your Mac laptop and USB-C AC power adapter. The cable serial number is printed on its outer jacket, next to the words Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China (Developed by Apple in California. Assembled in China).
- If the serial number starts with C4M or FL4, the cable is for use with an Apple USB-C power adapter with a power of 29 or 30 watts.
- If the first three characters of the serial number are DLC, CTC, FTL, or G0J, the cable is intended for use with a USB-C power adapter of any capacity.
- If the cable says Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China (Developed by Apple in California. Assembled in China), but there is no serial number, you have the right to request a USB-C cable to charge for replacement.