How to restore contacts on iPhone if you accidentally or mistakenly deleted them? Restoring deleted contacts is quite simple and does not require special skills. Today we will describe 4 ways to restore iPhone contacts: from backup, through iTunes and iCloud.
We already talked about how to create a contact on the iPhone and how to import them into the iOS address book and you could make sure that permanently deleting a contact is not so simple. In most cases, with the correct setup of iPhone and iCloud, you can restore a deleted contact without much effort.
What to do if you deleted one, several or all contacts on the iPhone?
First of all, disconnect your Mac and iPhone from the Internet. This avoids synchronous deletion of contacts from the address book in iCloud as a result of automatic synchronization.
Ways to Recover Deleted Contacts on iPhone
- restore from iTunes backup;
- Restore from Contacts Windows, Mac OS X or Microsoft Outlook (depending on the method of synchronizing contacts in iTunes);
- re-synchronization with iCloud;
- Retrieve iPhone contacts from backup using iBackupBot and iPhone Backup Extractor.
How to restore contacts from iTunes backup?
If you regularly synchronize your iPhone with your computer via iTunes and create backups, it is almost impossible to permanently delete one, several or all contacts from an iPhone. At any time, they can be safely restored from the backup.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
- In the “Devices” menu, select the model of your device and go to the “Overview” tab.
- Click on the “Restore from copy” button.
- If the “Find iPhone” function is enabled on the iPhone, you must disable it before restoring it.
- Select the backup of the device for which you want to restore and click on “Restore”.
- Wait for the restore from the backup to complete.
After restoring the iPhone from the backup, all changes from the moment of its creation will be canceled. IPhone contacts and call history will be restored.
Recover from Contacts in iCloud, Windows, Mac OS X or Microsoft Outlook
The Contacts applications for Windows, Mac OS X and Microsoft Outlook allow you to download (export) records from the address book stored on your computer or on the iCloud server to the vCard format that is fully supported by iPhone. So, having a contact in vCard (file with the extension.vcf), you can download (import) it into Contacts on iPhone.
In the instruction “iPhone Contacts: Creating, Importing, Synchronizing and Deleting Contacts on iPhone” we already talked about how to download the address book from Windows Contacts to iPhone and today we will restore the contact removed from iPhone from the Windows Contacts application.
- On a Windows-based computer in Explorer or any other file manager, go to the path: \ Users \ (username) \ Contacts \ and select the contact you want to restore.
- In the navigation menu, click on “Export” and select the format “Business cards (folder with files.vcf)” and click “Export”.
- Select the folder where you want to save the contact in vCard format and click “OK”. The entry from the Windows Contacts address book will be extracted to the folder you specified.
- Email the exported file to your iPhone.
- On iPhone, open the.vcf file received in the letter and tap on “Create a new contact.”
The entry exported from Windows Contacts will be recorded in the phone book of your iPhone. For Contacts applications on Mac OS X, the procedure is completely identical and there is no point in describing it again.
If the synchronization of contacts in iTunes is configured with Microsoft Outlook, the procedure for exporting a contact differs only in the location of the “Export” item in the main menu of the program. “File”. Export entries in vCard format.
Recall if on your iPhone in Settings.> iCloud includes syncing contacts with Apple cloud storage, every time you connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, the contents of the iPhone are synchronized with your Apple ID account in iCloud.
Export contacts from iCloud
- On a computer in any Internet browser, go to http://icloud.com/ and enter the Apple ID and password for the account for which iCloud is configured on the iPhone.
- Go to the Contacts web application.
- Select the contact removed from the iPhone and in the lower left corner click on the “Show action menu” gear image.
- In the action menu, click on “Export vCard”. The selected contact will be exported to a file and will be available in the download folder on your computer’s hard drive.
The downloaded file can be sent by email (in the attachment to the letter) to the iPhone, open it from the device and create a new contact instead of the deleted one.
Video: Where Iphone 5s Voice Recorder Records Are Stored
Recover deleted contacts via resync with iCloud
The essence of the method is to disable the synchronization of contacts with iCloud in the iPhone settings, while leaving the contacts on the iPhone (select the appropriate item) and re-enabling synchronization.
- We will assume that immediately after deleting the contact you disconnected the iPhone from the Internet via Wi-Fi, then iCloud will not make changes to the address book.
- On the iPhone, go to Settings.> iCloud and turn the Contacts switch to the Disabled position.
- In the menu that appears, “What do you want to do with previously synchronized objects: iCloud contacts on iPhone”, select “Leave on iPhone”.
- Turn on W-Fi, connect your iPhone to the Internet and turn the “Contacts” switch to Settings.> iCloud to On.
- In the menu that appears, “Your contacts will be merged with iCloud,” tap on “Merge.”
- After 2-3 minutes, check the phone book on the iPhone for a previously deleted entry.
You can remove contacts from the iPhone backup without restoring it. To do this, there is a special software (program) that allows you to extract data from backups created in iTunes.
Retrieve contacts from iPhone backup using iBackupBot
Today we will consider the question: “How to export (upload) deleted contacts from the iPhone from a previously created backup?”.
Download iBackupBot for Windows [link]
- Install the trial version of iBackupBot, it is enough to restore deleted contacts.
- Launch iBackupBot. The program recognizes the backups stored in the iTunes backup storage, it will take some time.
- In the main window of the program, information about the backup will be displayed, and name: device name, iOS version, phone number, device serial number, unique identifier and IMEI.
- The “What’s In Backup” section will display information about the location of the copy file and the date it was created. Developers recommend backing up your iPhone before making changes to an existing one.
- In the “Bakcups” window (Backups), left-click the desired backup.
- From the File menu, select Duplicate and select the location on the local drive where to save the duplicate. You can create a duplicate from the context menu called by right-clicking on the name of the backup in the “Backups” window or by clicking on the corresponding shortcut in the Toolbar of the program.
- In the “Bakcups” window, select the backup from which you want to restore contacts and in the main window click on “Contacts” in the “What’s In Backup” section.
- In the main window of the program a list of contacts stored in the backup will be displayed, you can select the necessary entry and the contact information from the entry will be displayed to the right of the list.
- On the Contacts tab, next to the Export icon in the toolbar, click on the image of the down arrow. A context menu appears with a choice of the file export format. If you click on any entry in the contact list with the right mouse button, a similar menu will appear.
- Select “Export as vCard file”.
- On the registration request page, click on “Cancel”. The free version allows you to extract contacts from the backup without restrictions.
- Choose the place where you want to save the vcf file to your hard drive and click “Save”.
- The vCard file with all the contacts in the iPhone backup will be exported to your computer’s hard drive.
- The program can extract each contact from the address book into a separate file and save them on the hard drive. To do this, select “Export as multiple vCard file” in the export format selection menu.
- The resulting files can be downloaded to Windows Contacts or Mac OS X and synced the iPhone with the computer in iTunes. All contacts that are not on the iPhone, but are in Windows Contacts, will be transferred to the phone book of the iPhone.
Export contacts from iPhone backup using iPhone Backup Extractor
Another extremely useful software for working with iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad backups is iPhone Backup Extractor. Like iBackupBot, it allows you to extract absolutely all the contents of the backup, but unfortunately the trial version is very limited.
To fully restore contacts and other contents, a backup of the free version will not be enough. Trial version of iPhone Backup Extractor allows you to download only the first 4 contacts from the address book.
Download iPhone Backup Extractor [link]
- Download, install and launch iPhone Backup Extractor. The program will automatically open the latest backup of their iTunes store.
- If the backup from which you need to extract the contact is located elsewhere, in the Select backup list, select Select another backup folder.
- In the “Available data” section of the list opposite to “Contacts”, click on the “Extract the number of contacts” caption and select a location to save the extracted contacts.
- The program will save all the contacts from the backup in the specified location to the shared vcf file, the shared csv file and to separate files for each contact in vcf format.
- If you want to export all records in only one specific format in the main menu “Extract”, select one of the items: Contacts as VCards (Contacts as separate vcf files), Contacts as VCard (Contacts as one vcf file), Contacts as CSV (Contacts to CSV file). The latter can be downloaded to Gmail’s Contact Manager and imported from there into the iPhone.
As you can see, there are enough ways to restore deleted contacts to reduce the likelihood of irreversible loss of the phone book in an iPhone to a minimum.
How to protect contacts from permanent deletion from iPhone?
- Regularly sync and back up your iOS devices to your computer through iTunes. This will keep the phone book stored on the computer up to date.
- Keep multiple backups of varying age for each device. This will make it possible to restore contacts that were deleted long ago and need to be restored.
- Turn on syncing your device with iCloud and in particular the phone book. This will allow you to save a copy of the phone book in Apple Cloud
If the methods described above did not help to restore the deleted contact, you can contact friends or acquaintances who may have this contact, I’m sure they won’t refuse to help you.
If you have any questions or problems with the restoration of deleted contacts, write to us in the comments, we will try to help you.