Catering for dogs in the aviary is one of the important moments for the life and health of pets. Dog owners are faced with the problem of not only their full feeding and watering, but also ensuring the convenience and safety of this process for all family members and the animals themselves. Consider what options are available for the choice of feeders and drinkers in the aviary.
There are several criteria to consider.
- It is necessary to responsibly approach the choice of bowls. It is important to decide what you will feed your pet: whether it will be natural food or industrial food. The volume of the chosen capacity depends on it. It is required that the cup be filled with no more than 2/3 of its capacity to prevent spilling of feed pellets on the sides.
- The character of the four-legged friend and its pedigree characteristic, for example, the shape of the muzzle, the length of the hair, as well as the shape and length of the ears, must be taken into account. For English and American Cocker Spaniels and dachshunds, cone-shaped bowls are needed so that the beard and ears do not get dirty, respectively. Small breed dogs with flat faces (French Bulldog, Pekingese, Pug) need dishes with a convex bottom. And their high fellows with a large muzzle (Great Dane, St. Bernard, Alabai, Sheepdog) are more suitable for deep cups.
- You need to understand what the dishes for your pet will be made of. There are bowls of plastic, ceramic and stainless steel.
Each type of materials has its pros and cons. Consider in detail each of them.
The advantages of plastic include:
- A variety of colors and designs;
- It can be used outdoors at sub-zero temperatures.
- Unknown quality of plastic (poisoning is possible);
- The ease of products – the animal can easily turn the container;
- Puppies can take this dish for a toy (they will crush it and harm themselves).
Such bowls are good as a camping option for a single use.
The advantages of ceramic bowls will be:
- Heavy weight (difficult to budge or turn over);
- Material safety;
- Coverage remains new for a long time;
- Suitable for use in winter conditions.
- With careless handling are easy to fight;
- High price;
- It is difficult to fix on the stand.
Stainless steel bowls also have positive and negative features.
- Mounts on supports and tripods;
- Easy to wash;
- Affordable price.
A negative feature of metalware is that it is undesirable to use it in the winter, as the animal can stick to it in the cold with its tongue. Although there are varieties and heated.
Of the three types, metal bowls for long-term use will be the safest.
How to fix the bowl in the aviary?
Equally important is the system of fasteners bowls. Here are the following points.
- The feeder should be located at the level of the chest of the dog, thus avoiding the curvature of the spine (this is important for puppies). In addition, low fixed bowls (as well as standing on the floor) can lead to the ingestion of air during feed intake. And this, in turn, can lead at least to increased gas formation or acute expansion of the stomach.
- And also it should be installed so as to be freely available for the dog and its owner.
Retractable and rotary feeders are also a great success. But they are already delivered in finished form, built into the door of the enclosure with a small locking bolt. With the help of welding, you can make the same refinement to the existing aviary. This mechanism facilitates access to the dishes. Frees from having to open the door and go inside.
There are also auto feeders. This option will be convenient, for example, in the country. Or when there is a need to leave for 1–2 days or more. Pellets spill to the bottom of the bowl as they are eaten. This method is convenient for owners whose pets consume dry food and do not suffer from bulimia. Some craftsmen make such designs independently from scrap materials. For example, one of the options includes two plastic bottles of 18.9 liters and a section of PVC pipe used for sewage.
There are a lot of homemade products on the Internet. Anyone can use one of them.
The issue with pets who have a tendency to overeating, is solved with the help of factory feeders, in which a timer is set. The required amount of feed mechanism gives a certain interval.
Experiments with the auto-feeder usually begin one month before the planned departure date, so that the pet is used to innovations, and the owner has managed to determine the dosage and amount of feed for this period.
Peculiarities of car drinking
Another important issue is drinking. In rotary bowls, this issue is resolved by installing another bowl, which should be deeper in size, since the volume of liquid consumed may differ depending on weather conditions, breed characteristics, animal activity and feeding habits. For example, a dog of medium breed, eating dry food, can drink up to two liters of fluid per day.
By analogy with automatic feeders, there are the following devices for supplying animals with drinking.
Hinged car drinkers. Some of them are suitable for different types of plastic bottles, which has a number of practical properties. This preserves the purity of the water and the ability to select the desired volume of packaging. They have attachments to the cell. This type of car drinker eliminates splashing of liquid on the sides, respectively, in the aviary will be dry and clean.
Drinking from car drinkers does not evaporate with time. It does not get insects and wool from the animal.
This type of drinkers often used for keeping rodents. The only difference is in a thicker nipple, in which a ball valve is inserted, correspondingly of increased diameter. Licking it, the animal receives the required amount of fluid.