An iOS or iPadOS device can be put into recovery mode, then restore data to it using a computer.
In the following cases, you may need to put the device into recovery mode.
- The computer does not recognize the device or reports that it is in recovery mode.
- The Apple logo has been displayed on the screen for several minutes without a progress indicator.
- The recovery mode screen is displayed.
Find out what to do if a progress bar is displayed on the screen for several minutes.
Putting the device into recovery mode and reconfiguring
- Make sure your Mac software is up to date. If you use iTunes, make sure you have the latest version.
- On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15: open the Finder window. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a Windows computer, open iTunes. If iTunes is already open, close it.
- Force reboot the connected device by following the instructions. But do not release the buttons when the Apple logo appears, wait until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPad models with Face ID: press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Press the top button and hold it until the device starts to reboot. Continue to hold the top button until the device enters recovery mode.
- On iPhone 8 or later: press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and iPod touch (7th generation): simultaneously press and hold the top (or side) button and volume down button. Continue holding them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- On an iPad with a Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold the Home button and the top (or side) button at the same time. Continue to hold them until the recovery mode screen appears.
- Find your device on the computer. When prompted to perform a restore or upgrade, select Update. The computer will try to reinstall the software without erasing the data. Wait for the device software to load on the computer. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and the device switches from the recovery mode screen, wait for the download to complete and repeat step 3.
- After completing the upgrade or recovery, configure the device.
Video: Time Doesn’t Work On Iphone 7
If you cannot update or restore the device using the recovery mode, or if you cannot enable recovery mode due to broken buttons, contact Apple Support.