Quiet dressing and wearing ammunition is a prerequisite for keeping a dog in settlements. A muzzle is one of the most disliked "toilet items" in dogs – you can’t bite, you won’t bite, you can’t pick up the "rotten tasty food" from the ground … sheer disappointment. But training does not tolerate indulgence, so let’s figure out how to teach a dog to a muzzle without stress for the ward.
How to choose a muzzle for a dog
The direct purpose of the accessory is to protect others from the possible aggression of the dog, however, the muzzle is also used as a security measure if the pet has a habit of picking food from the ground. Based on the basic needs, we determine the open or "deaf" accessory to purchase. Further, according to the material of manufacture, the following types are distinguished:
- Metal Mesh – the most durable option, but if the dog is "brawling", it may well beat the opponent with a muzzle. Canine, jokingly, called the metal muzzles – "the death of the vet" and there is something in it. If your pet is still a puppy, there is no need for such a powerful accessory, but when the baby grows up and fully masters wearing a muzzle, the option is quite worthy.
- Leather, whole and braided – comfortable and safe, but can make it difficult for the dog to breathe, especially in the hot season. A large pet may well break the accessory when opening the jaw (if the base is woven) or break a muzzle with its paws.
- Nylon – optimal and modern version. The material is lightweight, breathable, durable and well-slip. Most often, accessories are equipped with regulators, so you can choose a muzzle for growth. Only one minus, nylon muzzles exclusively open type – will reduce the amplitude of the opening of the mouth, but will not save from picking up food from the ground.
Important! For medium and non-aggressive dogs, muzzles with two buckles are suitable. If your pet is hypothetically dangerous to others – stop the choice on the accessory with three buckles – one passes through the forehead to the back of the head, such a muzzle is harder to break with paws.
We teach the dog to wear a muzzle
Important! Never use a muzzle in situations where the dog will be hurt or uncomfortable – visit the vet, care for nails, ears or teeth, comb, swim, and if necessary, tie the face with a bandage cut.
Meet the muzzle
- Conduct classes exclusively at home.
- Unpack the accessory, give it to your dog for sniffing.
- Strictly suppress attempts to gnaw a muzzle or play with him – the command "Fu".
- Button the buckles on the dog’s neck, not wearing an accessory, if the pet responds calmly – let him walk around the dwelling for 10–15 minutes.
- Throw a delicacy at the muzzle so that the pet can see it. After sniffing, let the dog eat the treats from the improvised bowl.
Preparation lasts until the dog has a positive response to the look of the muzzle – tail wagging, a premonition of food. Take an accessory for a walk, but do not try to apply just carry in your hand. At this stage, difficulties are possible – the puppy will want to play with the ammunition, the adult dog can ignore the accessory – “Thanks for the delicacy, but wear it yourself.” Your task is to catch the moment when the pet "reconciled" and start wearing a muzzle around his neck during walks.
Schooling a muzzle
To teach a puppy to a muzzle will take 7-14 days, an adult dog can "resist" up to 3 weeks. If more than 3 weeks have passed, and the pet persists – we proceed to extreme measures – we feed breakfast from the muzzle, rinse the accessory with water and go for a walk. We proceed to the next stage, when the pet safely takes treats from the muzzle, wags its tail and “is going for a walk”, seeing the ammunition in your hands. We continue to study at home.
- After the pet "dived" for a treat, gently throw in the straps straightened to a free state on the back of the head, remove after 2–3 seconds. Vigorously praise pet.
- The next stage is a buckle on the back of the head, and you push the treat through the holes in the muzzle and again the “storm” of emotions.
- Gradually increase the time by adding 5-10 seconds.
- Wear a loose muzzle on the dog, before going for a walk. Emotions will distract the pet from discomfort. As soon as we reached the door, the ammunition was removed and the pet was praised. Increase the length of the race gradually.
We work with difficulties
The moment faced by all the owners – the dog falls to the ground, clings to the muzzle with the claws of its front paws and tries to take it off. Similar "incidents" can occur in 2-3 months of quiet wearing of ammunition – protest, emotions, readiness for a fight, reaction to a current bitch. Do not punish the pet and do not panic, according to the situation, use one of the methods.
- Strictly, with a tug of a leash, we order the dog to sit down or lie down, we withstand 10-15 seconds and remove the accessory.
- In case of protest, distract your dog with your favorite toy, clapping.
- If the pet has panicked – calm down, give a delicacy without removing the muzzle, stroke and sit next to it for several minutes.
- When you try to unleash a fight – leash the leash, “Fu,” we take the “aggressor” to a safe distance, we stack and calm it down, we don’t remove the muzzle – we cannot encourage the “bullies”!
For each such "attack", you defiantly fall into disappointment, shorten the walk, take offense, but only after you have removed the ammunition. The ward must clearly understand that he has upset you, and could have made you happy. For most dogs, resentment is the worst punishment.