We buy bowls
Let’s start by buying a pair of identical bowls. One of them will serve for water, the other – for food. Bowls should be chosen, given the size of the dog. If you have a sheepdog puppy or any other large breed, do not buy small bowls. Such a dog will grow very quickly, and most likely, a do-it-yourself dog bowl stand and a puppy-sized bowl designed for an older pet will be irrelevant due to the small capacity of the tanks. And, of course, in this case, your efforts will be wasted.
Materials for the manufacture of fixtures
Now about the materials for the stand. They must be moderately heavy, so that the grown-up dog does not “chase” the future stand throughout the house. Also, the do-it-yourself dog bowl stand must be strong enough for the dog to step on it without accidentally breaking it. Chipboard, OSB, thick plywood wide board meets all these qualities as well as possible. But DSP is not recommended for the simple reason that over time it tends to swell (crack). It is better, nevertheless, to stay on a sheet of OSB, plywood or board. They are not much more expensive, but the durability of the stand will be guaranteed.
We are determined with the size
Even for a shepherd there will be enough bowls with a diameter of 20 cm. If the dog is smaller, respectively, there will be less bowls and the stand itself. Starting to make a stand for dogs with their own hands, the sizes are calculated, precisely on the basis of the diameter and height of the dish. The legs of the stand should be greater than the height of the bowls, at least one and a half size. The length and width of the "table top" is calculated as follows: 2 diameters of dishes, plus the space between the bowls themselves and from the edges of the "table top". The width to the diameter can add the same distance to the edge as in the case of length.
We build a stand
For this we need the following tools:
- Jigsaw with files under OSB.
- Screwdriver and drill with a diameter greater than the width of the jigsaw blade for jigsaw.
- A bar of 3 x 3 cm (for a stand with a length of up to 1 meter, 2 meters of a bar will be enough);
- Screws 5 cm.
- PVA glue for wood.
- Paint with a brush.
- We cut out the main parts – the upper platform, solid side legs and rear wall.
- In the upper platform we denote two circles in the size of the bowls purchased. Drill with a drill, insert a jigsaw and cut out these circles.
- On the back wall and on the legs we fasten the timber at the level at which we will have the top platform with holes for the bowls. This timber, located on the perimeter, will serve as a kind of platform (stand) under the "tabletop".
- The parts are cleaned with sandpaper, coated with glue in places of future fasteners and assembled into a single structure with the help of a screwdriver and screws.
- Next, the stand is painted and dries in the sun.
Is done. Congratulations. You have just made a stand for your dog bowls.
Finally, it is worth noting that the bases reinforced with bars for the table top are needed only for large-sized dogs. For small breeds, you can do without them, driving the fasteners (screws) directly into the ends of the blanks.
Health and long years to you and your pet!