Is it possible to connect an iPhone to the TV? Of course. Ask why such a gadget synchronization with a TV device is needed. For example, to watch a movie or display pictures on a large screen. Agree that this is very convenient? It remains only to find out how such a connection can be made and what is needed for this.
We use the capabilities of WiFi
Today, a huge number of TV models (Samsung, Sony Bravia, LG, Philips, etc.) are connected to WiFi without problems. Naturally, such a wireless connection can be safely used in order to broadcast content from a smartphone.
over, this synchronization method is one of the most convenient. After all, it allows you to do without wires. Yes, and no additional devices are also required.
- Create a network or organize an existing one.
- Make sure that the TV has a Wi-Fi module and turn it on. This is done in different ways. Usually through the built-in application: LG has the Smart Share software product, Samsung has AllShare. On many TVs, you can connect to your smartphone in the Applications section by activating Wi-Fi Direct mode there.
Then you can start synchronizing your iPhone and TV:
- First of all, we connect both devices to an existing WiFi network.
- We launch on iPhone an application for outputting video and other content on TV. For example, Twonky Beam, Smart View (Samsung only) or iMediaShare. All are available for download on the App Store.
- Using such software is easy. You just need to specify the file that you want to broadcast on the TV screen, and then select the device itself. We will not dwell on this in more detail. We are sure you will understand along the way.
For reference! If for some reason you can’t connect your iPhone to your TV wirelessly via WiFi, try using the Google Chromecast device. This small USB stick-sized adapter needs to be installed in the HDMI connector. Then you can easily and quickly set up a wireless connection with various TV models.
Connect iPhone to TV via USB
USB cable is a universal solution if you need to synchronize two devices with each other. Including when it comes to connecting an iPhone to a TV. So you can safely use this interface. For this:
- Turn off the TV.
- Connect the micro USB cable (30-pin or Lightning. depending on the model) iPhone to the TV device. As a rule, the usb port is located on its back or side panel.
- Turn on the TV. In the device settings, set the display of the picture from USB.
That’s all! It remains to wait until the synchronization process is completed.
For reference! By connecting the iPhone to the TV via USB, you will not be able to display the image on the screen to, so to speak, duplicate content on a larger display. The system will recognize the smartphone only as a drive. Therefore, this method is suitable for those cases when you need to broadcast on TV videos and photos stored on your phone.
Video: Iphone X TV Sync
HDMI to help
Quite popular today is the HDMI interface, which is used when connecting various electronic devices to each other. Its advantage is that it can transmit a high-precision digital signal. That is, this is ideal if you decide to watch high-resolution video.
True, connecting an iPhone to a TV in this way is a little complicated by the fact that all Apple devices use their own proprietary Lightning connectors. But this problem is solved by acquiring a special adapter. Digital AV Adapter, Lightning to HDMI “MiraScreen”, etc., equipped with an HDMI interface.
How to organize broadcast from iPhone to TV? You will need to perform the following steps:
- Insert the adapter into the iPhone.
- We connect one end of the HDMI wire to the adapter.
- We stick the other end of the cable into the TV. We use the HDMI-connector, which is on all modern TVs, and any manufacturer. Sony, Samsung, Lji, Philips, etc.
- We select the mode in the TV settings in which the image will be displayed from the corresponding port. In our case, this is HDMI. Just be careful. modern TVs have several HDMI connectors. So indicate the one to which you connected the device from Apple.
- After these manipulations, the iPhone display will appear on the screen of your TV. But this is if you have a modern model of the “apple” smartphone. 5, 5s, 6, 7, etc. On the same 4s (and below), instead of the display, only shortcuts for launching video, audio and viewing the image gallery will be visible. However, this fact does not prevent you from watching your favorite movie or listening to a couple of music tracks.
For reference! By connecting the devices via HDMI and turning them on, all the necessary settings should load automatically. But sometimes you have to do it manually. To do this, you need to install “HDMI” as the source of the main signal on both the iPhone and the TV. Then after successful synchronization on the big screen, the duplication of the picture from the smartphone will begin.
We use Apple TV
By the way, there is another opportunity to create a wireless connection between iPhone and TV. True, for this you have to use the Apple TV multimedia player.
You will need an HDMI cable. Still need an iPhone no older than the fourth generation. What are the requirements for an Apple TV branded set-top box? 2G, 3G or 4G. In this case, both gadgets must be updated to the latest version of iOS. Otherwise, connection errors may appear.
When all of the above is at your fingertips, you can proceed:
- Turn on the Apple TV. We connect a TV to this device. This is done with the help of Wi-Fi or bluetooth.
- Sync iPhone with Apple TV. And do not forget, if WiFi is used, then both the TV and the “apple” gadget should work inside the same network.
- On the iPhone, double-click the “Home” button. Then tap on “Volume control, brightness.”
- Select AirPlay.
- Next, in the list of devices, we look for the option we need.
- After you tap on the console, the AirPlay Mirroring switch will appear. We activate it and wait for the iPhone desktop image to begin broadcasting on the TV screen.
Can I connect my iPhone to the TV using an analog cable?
You can also connect an iPhone with a TV and the popularly known “tulip”. Yes, this is the same composite cable from the distant 1990-2000s. As you remember in those days, this standard was widely used in audio and video equipment.
So today, with its help, you can connect an iPhone to a TV device. The only caveat is that you can’t view high-definition videos.
At the same time, you can create an analog iPhone connection to the TV using several types of adapters at once. Which one to apply. focus on the model of your “apple” smartphone:
- Apple Composite AV Cable. It has 3 standard “tulip” type plugs and one USB. Suitable for 4s model and older iPhone versions.
- Apple Component AV CableReminds the first version of the cord. It differs in that it contains additional plugs for synchronizing the image and improving the quality of the transmitted image. Also designed for iPhone 3G, 4 and 4s models.
- Lightning Apple VGA Adapter.It is used to connect a new generation of models to the TV. iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, etc. It has a 15-pin analog connector for a VGA cable.
No matter which option you use, the connection procedure itself is as simple as possible. It consists in the standard connection of wires and corresponding connectors on both devices. As for the TV, in its settings menu, it remains only to select the image output mode through the AV input.