Apple has unveiled three new iPhones that make up the 2018 lineup. These are the Xs, Xs Max and Xr models. In this article, we compare the Xs with the more affordable Xr model, as well as last year’s iPhone X and 8 Plus.
Note that comparing Xs and Xs Max does not make much sense, since it is almost the same device. The processor, cameras, case materials, display type. all match. The only difference is the diagonal of the display (5.8 ’’ for Xs, 6.5 ’’ for Xs Max), dimensions and battery capacity.
iPhone Xs and iPhone Xr
The key thing you need to know: Xs is the 2018 Apple flagship, and Xr is the mid-range model that is a quarter cheaper than the flagship. Xr has a slightly larger display, but otherwise almost all of its characteristics are more or less inferior to the flagship. Let’s evaluate what exactly Xr is worse or better:
- Display diagonal: iPhone Xs. 5.8 ’’, iPhone Xr. 6.1 ’’;
- Display type: iPhone Xs. OLED; iPhone Xr. IPS LCD;
- Resolution, pixel density: Xs. 26881242 (458 PPI), Xr. 1792828 (326 PPI);
- 3D Touch Support: iPhone Xs only;
- The main camera: iPhone Xs. dual, 12 MPx (F1.8, 1.4 microns) 12 MPx telephoto. iPhone Xr. single (F1.8, 1.4 microns).
For the main module of the rear camera Xs, Xs Max and Xr Apple uses a new sensor with pixels of 1.4 microns. Previous iPhones, starting from 6S and up to and including X, relied on Sony’s Exmor IMX315 (1.2 microns)
- Optical zoom: iPhone Xs. yes, double, Xr. not supported (since there is no module with a telephoto lens);
- Portrait Lighting: the effects of "stage light" and "stage light mono" are available in the iPhone Xs for both cameras, in Xr. only for the front;
- RAM: iPhone Xs. 4 GB, Xr. 3 GB;
- Read only memory: iPhone Xs. 64, 256, 512 GB Xr. 64, 128 or 256 GB;
- LTE, maximum download speed: iPhone Xs. 1 Gb / s, iPhone Xr. 600 Mb / s;
The frames around the display of the Xr model (on the right), as you can easily see, are noticeably thicker than the premium Xs and Xs Max
- Water protection: iPhone Xs. IP68, immersion up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone Xr. IP67, immersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes;
- Case materials: iPhone Xs. a protective glass on both sides of a stainless steel frame; iPhone Xr. a protective glass on both sides of the aluminum frame of the 7000 series;
- Body colors: iPhone Xs. silver, black, gold. Xr. white, blue, black, yellow, coral (pink-orange), red;
- Dimensions: Xs. 143.670.97.7 mm, Xr. 150.975.78.3 mm;
At the presentation for the Xr model, no less time was taken than Xs. Apple has high hopes for the Xr. The smartphone is in many ways superior to last year’s X, but costs a quarter cheaper
- Weight: Xs. 177 g; Xr. 194 g;
- Battery capacity: Xs. 2658 mAh, Xr. 2942 mAh;
- Autonomous work (talk time): Xs. 20 hours, Xr. 25 hours;
- Autonomous work (surfing the net): Xs. 12 hours, Xr. 15 hours.
You probably noticed the last points of comparison regarding battery life.
There is no error: Xr really runs on battery noticeably longer than Xs. The reason is that the battery capacity of the more affordable Xr is greater than that of the flagship, and the components consume less energy. See also: New features of smartphones 2019: helping with the choice.
In addition, there are many points on which the iPhone Xr is absolutely identical to the more expensive Xs. They do not differ, in particular:
- Display: True Tone support (as in the MacBook Pro 2018) and extended color gamut;
- Processors: both gadgets use A12. See also processor rating for smartphones.;
- The main module of the rear camera: the same sensor (12 MPx, F1.8, 1.4 microns) for both smartphones;
- Front-camera: TrueDepth 7 MPx Face ID (there is support for Animoji and Memoji);
The impressive array of front panel sensors on the iPhone X, Xs and Xr are exactly the same. They didn’t simplify anything in the more affordable Xr. Otherwise, it could negatively affect Face ID.
- Wireless charger: Qi;
- Stereo speakers and stereo recording: in both gadgets;
- Sensors: three-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, proximity and light sensors, barometer;
- OS out of the box: iOS 12
Sales of iPhone Xs will start in several countries on September 21. The official device will reach Russia a week later: on the 28th of the same month. In turn, the iPhone Xr in the world starts much later. October 26. But it will be available on the same day.
First look at iPhone Xr from YouTube channel “Miracle of Technology”
iPhone Xs and iPhone 8 Plus
Now compare the new iPhone Xs with last year’s iPhone 8 Plus, which is still on sale, and at a much more affordable price. An obvious advantage of Xs is its almost frameless design, which immediately catches your eye. But what is the difference between Xs and 8 Plus? Let’s evaluate:
- Display diagonal: iPhone Xs. 5.8 ’’ with a notch; iPhone 8 Plus. 5.5 ’’ without a cut;
- Display type: iPhone Xs. OLED; iPhone 8 Plus. IPS LCD;
- Resolution, pixel density: Xs. 26881242 (458 PPI), 8 Plus –19201080 (401 PPI);
iPhone Xs Max next to 8 Plus and Xs
- User Authentication: Xs. Face ID, 8 Plus. Touch ID;
- CPU: iPhone Xs. A12 (6 cores 2.5 GHz CPU, 4 cores GPU). iPhone 8 Plus. A11 (6 2.4 GHz CPU cores, 3 GPU cores). A more detailed comparison at the end of the article;
- RAM: iPhone Xs. 4 GB, 8 Plus. 3 GB;
- Read only memory: iPhone Xs. 64, 256, 512 GB 8 Plus. 64 or 256 GB;
- Rear camera, main module: iPhone Xs. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.4 μm), iPhone 8 Plus. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.2 μm);
- Optical stabilization: Xs. for both rear camera modules, 8 Plus. only for the main rear camera module;
Ten minutes of key facts from the September presentation of Apple, which showed Xs, Xr and watches Watch series 4 (click here to compare with all previous Apple Watch)
- Front-camera: portrait mode, portrait lighting effects, stabilization, Animoji and Memoji. only in iPhone Xs;
- Front-camera: iPhone Xs. Full HD video recording with frequency 60 frames / s. iPhone 8 Plus. Full HD video recording with a frequency of 30 fps;
- Depth Function (setting the aperture of the picture in post-processing): iPhone Xs only. See the video presentation at the end of the article starting at 1:13:00;
- Sound recording: iPhone Xs. stereo; iPhone 8 Plus. mono;
- LTE, maximum download speed: iPhone Xs. 1 Gb / s, iPhone 8 Plus. 600 Mb / s;
- Sim cards (eSIM is not yet relevant for Russia): iPhone Xs. nano ‑ SIM eSIM, 8 Plus. only nano ‑ SIM;
Despite the presentation of new products, the 7/7 Plus and 8/8 Plus models are still included in the current line of the manufacturer
- Water protection: iPhone Xs. IP68, immersion up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone 8 Plus. IP67, immersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes;
- Battery capacity: Xs. 2658 mAh, 8 Plus. 2691 mAh;
- Case frame material: iPhone Xs. steel; iPhone 8 Plus. aluminum;
- Dimensions: Xs. 143.670.97.7 mm, 8 Plus. 158.478.17.5 mm;
- Weight: Xs. 177 g, 8 Plus. 202 g;
- Additionally: Apple claims that the Xs also differs from its predecessors in improved surround stereo sound, more durable body materials and faster wireless charging. However, specific numbers and independent tests are not yet available.
With the announcement of new iPhone models this fall, the price of previous models, as Apple has long established, has dropped by 100. In the English version of the Apple site, the 8 Plus has fallen in price from 800 to 700. This should also concern the prices.
IPhone Xs First Look
iPhone Xs and iPhone X
Finally, of course, let’s compare the iPhone Xs with its direct predecessor. the iPhone X. Visually, the devices are practically indistinguishable: the dimensions and shapes have remained absolutely unchanged. The following has changed:
- CPU: iPhone Xs. A12 (6 cores 2.5 GHz CPU, 4 cores GPU). iPhone X. A11 (6 cores CPU 2.4 GHz, 3 cores GPU);
- RAM: iPhone Xs. 4 GB, X. 3 GB;
- Read only memory: iPhone Xs. 64, 256, 512 GB iPhone X. 64 or 256 GB;
- Rear camera, main module: iPhone Xs. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.4 μm), iPhone X. 12 MPx (F1.8, pixel size. 1.2 μm);
The presentation slide with the number of 120 Hz was misleading to many. It would seem that the ProMotion function from the iPad Pro is now available on the iPhone. This is actually not the case. The iPhone screen is still being updated at 60 Hz. 120 Hz. finger touch reading speed
- Front-camera: iPhone Xs. 7 MPx, Full HD recording with frequency 60 frames per second, stabilization. iPhone X. 7 MPx, 3 Full HD recording0 frames per second, without stabilization;
- Depth Function (aperture setting in post-processing for pictures): iPhone Xs only. See the video presentation at the end of the article starting at 1:13:00;
- Sound recording: iPhone Xs. stereo; iPhone X. mono;
- LTE,maximum download speed: iPhone Xs. 1 Gb / s, iPhone X. 600 Mb / s;
- Sim cards (eSIM is currently irrelevant for Russia): iPhone Xs. nano ‑ SIM eSIM, iPhone X. only nano ‑ SIM;
An official video that beautifully talks about the key innovations of Xs models (in English)
- Water protection: iPhone Xs. IP68, immersion up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone X. IP67, immersion up to 1 meter for 30 minutes;
- Battery capacity: Xs. 2658 mAh, X. 2716 mAh;
- Body colors: iPhone Xs. silver, black, gold. iPhone X. silver or black;
- Additionally: Apple claims that the Xs also differs from its predecessors in improved surround stereo sound, more durable body materials and faster wireless charging. It also works for half an hour longer than the iPhone X on a single charge. However, specific numbers and independent tests are not yet available.
The dimensions and weight of the two smartphones do not differ, which gives hope for the full compatibility of most accessories. By the way, note that the Lightning- adapter disappeared from the standard delivery of the iPhone Xs compared to the X and other older models.>3.5 mm, allowing you to connect headphones. Alas, now, if necessary, you need to buy it separately.
Behind Phil Schiller, there’s an almost complete list of iPhone Xs vs. X innovations. It’s not clear why they mentioned Bluetooth 5 support, which was before
Finally, at the presentation, Apple paid a lot of attention to its new A12 processor. iPhone in many hardware parameters may no longer look bright against the background of competitors, but you can’t say the same about its “heart”. Ax series processors. In tests, they are very confident in holding a blow against the top Snapdragon, Exynos and Kirin.
A12 is used in Xs, Xs Max and Xr. A11 is the “heart” of the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone X. Let’s compare A12 with its predecessor. A11 is a little more detailed:
- Manufacturing process: A11. 10 nm (worse); A12. 7 nm (better, more energy efficient);
- Number of Transistors: A11. 4.3 billion; A12. 6.9 billion;
- Central processing unit (CPU): A11. two powerful Monsoon 2.39 GHz cores; four energy-efficient Mistral cores. A12. two powerful Vortex 2.49 GHz cores; four energy-efficient Tempest cores;
The central processor this time was boosted by only 15%. Much more attention went to the graphics accelerator and the "neural" block
- CPU Cache Capacity (L1i L1d): A11. 32 32 KB; A12. 128 128 KB;
- Graphics Processing Unit (GPU): A11. 3 cores, A12. 4 cores (Apple claims that the graphics in A12 are 50% more powerful than their predecessor);
- Neural engine (special computing unit for machine learning tasks): A11. 600 billion operations per second, A12. 5 trillion operations per second.
The changes described above allow the iPhone Xs to be significantly faster than their predecessors. For example, in the popular AnTuTu benchmark, which checks the CPU and GPU, the new product gains more than 360 thousand points. , The results of the Snapdragon 845 range from 250 to 290 thousand, depending on the smartphone. And the A11 processor takes away “in total” 220-225 thousand points in AnTuTu.
detailed tests in various benchmarks, as well as real games and applications should appear soon as soon as the device goes on sale. Enthusiasts will certainly test everything that is possible, as well as discover some characteristics as yet unknown. The same goes for camera tests.
We will try to update and supplement the material as new information becomes available.
The full version of the September presentation of Apple (original)