»How to wear
Teach an adult dog and a puppy to a muzzle
Quiet dressing and wearing ammunition is a prerequisite for keeping a dog in settlements. A muzzle is one of the most unloved toilet items in dogs – you cannot bite, bite, you can’t pick up the foul taste from the ground. Sheer frustration. But training does not tolerate indulgence, so let’s figure out how to teach a dog to a muzzle without stress for the ward.
How to choose a muzzle for a dog
The direct purpose of the accessory is to protect others from the possible aggression of the dog, however, the muzzle is also used as a security measure if the pet has a habit of picking food from the ground. Based on the basic needs, we determine the open or deaf accessory to purchase. Further, according to the material of manufacture, the following types are distinguished:
- Metal Mesh – The most durable option, but if the dog is stupid, it may well beat the opponent with a muzzle. Canine, jokingly, called metal muzzles – the death of a veterinarian and there is something in it. If your pet is still a puppy, there is no need for such a powerful accessory, but when the baby grows up and fully masters wearing a muzzle, the option is quite worthy.
- Leather, whole and braided – comfortable and safe, but can make it difficult for the dog to breathe, especially in the hot season. A large pet may well break the accessory when opening the jaw (if the base is woven) or break a muzzle with its paws.
- Nylon – optimal and modern version. The material is lightweight, breathable, durable and well slip. Most often, accessories are equipped with regulators, so you can choose a muzzle for growth. Only one minus, nylon muzzles exclusively open type – will reduce the amplitude of the opening of the mouth, but will not save from picking up food from the ground.
Important! For medium and non-aggressive dogs, muzzles with two buckles are suitable. If your pet is hypothetically dangerous to others – stop the choice on the accessory with three buckles – one passes through the forehead to the back of the head, such a muzzle is harder to break with paws.
We teach the dog to wear a muzzle
Important! Never use a muzzle in situations where the dog will be hurt or uncomfortable – visit the vet, care for nails, ears or teeth, comb, swim, and if necessary, tie the face with a bandage cut.
Meet the muzzle
- Conduct classes exclusively at home.
- Unpack the accessory, give it to your dog for sniffing.
- Strictly suppress attempts to gnaw a muzzle or play with him – Fu team.
- Button the buckles on the dog’s neck, not wearing an accessory, if the pet responds calmly – let him walk around the dwelling for 10–15 minutes.
- Throw a delicacy at the muzzle so that the pet can see it. After sniffing, let the dog eat the treats from the improvised bowl.
Preparation lasts until the dog has a positive response to the look of the muzzle – tail wagging, a premonition of food. Take an accessory for a walk, but do not try to apply just carry in your hand. At this stage, difficulties are possible – the puppy will want to play with the ammunition, an adult dog can ignore the accessory – Thanks for the delicacy, but wear it yourself. Your task is to catch the moment when the pet has reconciled and start wearing a muzzle around his neck while walking.
Schooling a muzzle
To teach a puppy to a muzzle will take 7-14 days, an adult dog can resist up to 3 weeks. If more than 3 weeks have passed, and the pet persists – we proceed to extreme measures – we feed breakfast from the muzzle, rinse the accessory with water and go for a walk. We proceed to the next stage when the pet safely takes treats from the muzzle, wags its tail and is going for a walk, seeing the ammunition in your hands. We continue to study at home.
- After the pet has dived for a treat, gently throwing the straps straightened to a free state on the back of the head, remove after 2–3 seconds. Vigorously praise pet.
- The next stage is a buckle on the back of the head, and you slip the treat through the holes in the muzzle and again a storm of emotions.
- Gradually increase the time by adding 5-10 seconds.
- Wear a loose muzzle on the dog, before going for a walk. Emotions will distract the pet from discomfort. As soon as we reached the door, the ammunition was removed and the pet was praised. Increase the length of the race gradually.
We work with difficulties
The moment faced by all the owners – the dog falls to the ground, clings to the muzzle with the claws of its front paws and tries to take it off. Similar incidents can occur in 2-3 months of quiet wearing of ammunition – protest, emotions, readiness for a fight, reaction to the current bitch. Do not punish the pet and do not panic, according to the situation, use one of the methods.
- Strictly, with a tug of a leash, we order the dog to sit down or lie down, we withstand 10-15 seconds and remove the accessory.
- In case of protest, distract your dog with your favorite toy, clapping.
- If the pet has panicked – calm down, give a delicacy without removing the muzzle, stroke and sit next to it for several minutes.
- When you try to unleash a fight – a leash jerk, Fu, we move the aggressor to a safe distance, we stack and calm it down, we don’t remove the muzzle – we can’t encourage bullies!
For each such attack, you defiantly fall into disappointment, shorten the walk, take offense, but only after you have removed the ammunition. The ward must clearly understand that he has upset you, and could have made you happy. For most dogs, resentment is the worst punishment.
According to the existing rules of dog walking in the city, each animal must be muzzled and leashed. Therefore, the animal almost all the time during the walk should be muzzled and it is very important to approach the choice of the muzzle with all the responsibility.
From the correctly selected muzzle will depend on the behavior of the animal on the street. In order to choose the right muzzle and not make a mistake with the choice, it is necessary to decide for what purposes it will be used and know the size of the muzzle.
How to pick a muzzle dog for a walk?
It is very important to take into account the fact that the measurement should be carried out with the mouth open.
Now the occipital length is measured – the distance from the animal’s eyes to the occiput behind the ears is measured. It is also necessary to measure the neck circumference – centimeter is superimposed under the muzzle and around the neck. And in order to determine the width of the animal’s muzzle, a centimeter is applied around the eyes and across the muzzle.
After the size of the muzzle is determined, it is possible to think about what muzzles exist for dogs how to choose the right one. When choosing a muzzle is very important to consider the breed of dogs.
When choosing a muzzle it is necessary to pay attention to the mount, as for calm animals that do not have the habit of self-removing muzzles, those models that have one shoulder strap for fasteners will do. Much more reliable will be the model of the muzzle, which has an additional strap located on the forehead of the animal.
Mesh muzzles, which can be made of leather, wire, plastic or artificial leather, are perfect for calm and gentle dogs. You should not use metal muzzles in the cold, because a dog can stick to it with lips or tongue.
For aggressive dogs it is recommended to choose solid muzzles made from a single piece of skin. Most often, these muzzles are used during training, during the development of animal malice. But it is worth remembering that such muzzles can not be used in hot weather or in the event that the animal receives long loads.
How to teach a dog to the sea moron
No matter how obedient and friendly your pet may be, you need to have a muzzle anyway. Wear a muzzle during daily walks or not you decide for yourself. However, in public transport without this accessory you probably will not miss, and the size of the dog for the driver does not matter # 8212; may prohibit travel, as with the German Shepherd, and with dachshund.
But before answering the question of how to teach a dog to a muzzle, you need to say a few words about the styles.
How to choose a muzzle
Muzzles are divided into several types depending on the application. If you are going to put on a muzzle in the heat of a regular walk or even plan to transport the dog in a muzzle in a vehicle (where it is usually even hotter than outside), then you need to choose a sufficiently free model, for example, wire # 171; basket # 187;. In such a muzzle a dog can open its mouth and stick out its tongue, which is very important. Unlike a person, a dog does not have a large number of sweat glands (only on the paw pads and nose), and oral breathing contributes to a great deal in thermoregulation. If you tightly pull the dog’s mouth, then it will not be possible # 171; to pat # 187 ;, which can lead to thermal shock and even death.
But muzzles are used not only to protect the people and animals around you, but also yourself. Often, when providing first aid and some other unpleasant manipulations, the pet may involuntarily bite you. In addition, a muzzle is necessary during a trip to the vet. In these cases, when a short-term fixation of the mouth is required, a fabric model is perfect. Not allowing the animal to open its mouth and stick out the tongue.
Also, you should not buy a muzzle # 171; for growth # 187; because it is too difficult to predict the size. So reconcile that as the puppy grows up you will need to buy new ones that are larger.
How to muzzle a dog
First of all, let’s see from what age to wear a muzzle. Usually to teach a puppy to the muzzle begin in 5-6 months. If you missed this period, and now you have an adult dog in front of you, then do not worry # 8212; the training scheme is the same for both kids and adults.
At the first stage of training for the muzzle you need just show it to your pet and give sniff. Let the dog quietly familiarize himself with the new thing and understand that it does not carry a threat. Do not let it chew or scratch with your paw. After the pet sniffs the thing calmly, praise it.
Further show the dog a piece of treat and stick it in the muzzle so that the dog had to completely shove his face to get it. At this stage, do not try to fasten the muzzle, the pet should be able to free themselves after receiving the treats (otherwise it may get scared). Repeat this exercise several times so that your pet is fully accustomed to the new ammunition and can stay in it for a couple of seconds.
Now proceed as described above, but do not give a treat right away. Wait 2-3 seconds, and then open your fingers and let the dog get treats. Repeat the exercise, gradually increasing the time between giving a treat. If the dog remains muzzled after receiving the food, be sure to encourage this behavior.
When the dog learns to stay in the ammunition for 7-10 seconds, you can begin to fasten the straps. Praise and treat your dog for a quiet stay in a buttoned muzzle.
In order for the dog to develop a positive attitude towards the muzzle, wear it briefly before feeding or walking. If you see that he is trying to remove a thing, distract it with a game or just call for a run. When he behaves calmly # 8212; actively praise and treat. Do not remove the muzzle at the moment when the dog tries to do it, wait until it is completely fascinated by something else and only then remove it.
Now that you know how to muzzle a dog, you only need one of them # 8212; show maximum patience and understanding. Think about how you yourself would react if you were trying to wear such a thing.