No need to find out if your dog needs a muzzle. Questions about what breeds or for what size dogs require such devices are also incorrect. The skill of wearing a muzzle and its presence in the arsenal of the owner of the animal is always necessary, regardless of the breed, size and temper of the dog.
The benefits of muzzles
- A small dog will not cause severe injuries, but can damage clothes or, even slightly hooked teeth, frighten the child.
- Even the most beloved and well-bred dog remains an animal, whose reaction and behavior cannot be predicted with a 100% guarantee. In fairness, the reaction of people is also often unpredictable.
- From time to time the dog is required to show the vet. His request to wear a muzzle would be quite reasonable.
- In some places (for example, in public transport) the presence of a muzzle in a dog is imperative.
- There is one more nuance. If your dog barked or ran in the direction of a stranger, it can cause fear and, as a result, a “preemptive attack” – the person will begin to defend himself and can harm the dog, even if it has not bitten it. Seeing a muzzle, people are more confident in their own safety.
- Another advantage of the muzzle is that the accessory will not allow the dog to pick up from the ground and eat wallowing pieces, which can be extremely dangerous.
When to teach a dog to a muzzle?
Many dog breeders are of the opinion that the sooner a dog begins to get acquainted with a muzzle, the faster and more successful the process will be. Of course, everything is relative, and such training of a puppy under 2-3 months is unlikely to give a positive result. Most often, the most appropriate is the age of 5 months.
If serious dog training is expected – from 6-7 months puppies are allowed to start (general course of training), which includes training for a muzzle. If for any reason an adult animal does not have the necessary skills (for example, you have taken an untrained dog from a shelter), it is quite realistic to teach how to wear a muzzle, but most likely it will take more time and patience than teaching a puppy (it all depends learning ability, obedience and degree of aggressiveness of a particular individual).
It is important as soon as possible to teach the dog to a muzzle. But do not try to do it too soon – an attempt to train a puppy up to 3 months will not bring the expected result.
Stages of schooling
Developing the correct conditioned reflexes is a prerequisite for successful learning. It should be presented to the dog that only pleasant events are associated with the muzzle (at least during habituation).
- Acquaintance.We acquaint the animal with a muzzle. Give a good look, smell. Gnaw, chew, play – not allowed! We put a delicacy in the muzzle and treat the dog so that he can get a tasty one just by shoving fashion inside. Attempts to pull a piece from the side or to get it in another way – stop it. The prize goes only to someone who puts his nose in an unfamiliar piece. At this stage, the muzzle does not fasten and does not seek to extend the time spent in it, this is only the first acquaintance.
- Increase the time of stay.We continue to treat the dog from the muzzle, we try to extend the stay – for example, we feed the first piece of food from the muzzle, and the second through the muzzle from the outside. Thus, the muzzle will remain on the dog, while she pleases herself with a delicacy. Later, you can leave only the second part of the procedure – wear a muzzle and then treat. Gradually increase the interval between putting on the muzzle and receiving encouragement.
- Muzzled walks.The muzzle is not only goodies, but also entertainment. When the dog can be at least a short time in a muzzle, we begin to put it on, going for a walk. The first time you can remove an unusual accessory until almost immediately, for example, going out into the yard. Gradually increase the intervals.
- Fixing.Fastening skill, long stay (all the time walk) in a muzzle. If a dog tries to remove an accessory, distract it with a toy, a run, a “near” command (if by this time the animal is firmly accustomed to this team, it understands that “near” involves ignoring extraneous irritants, including strangers, cats and Of course, the muzzle).
How to wear a muzzle?
It is necessary to choose the right muzzle for the dog before putting it on. Regardless of the material (for some calm and medium-sized dogs, even fabric models are used), the muzzle must fit in size and take into account the shape of the dog’s muzzle. In any case, it should not cause unpleasant or painful sensations. In the correctly chosen muzzle, the dog can breathe with an open mouth.
The muzzle is always worn confidently, but without sudden movements and irritation. The animal should feel that what is happening is not something that goes beyond the ordinary, which should be treated with caution, but an everyday procedure. Even when the dog gets used to the muzzle, it will not be superfluous to check if the accessory is not pressing it, if it will not rub it, especially if a “new thing” is bought. Also check the reliability of fixing belts and rivets.
It is important not to develop abnormal conditioned reflexes on the dog’s muzzle.
The reason for failures at the stage of schooling and the fierce resistance of the dog to donning a muzzle can be mistakes made by the dog breeder.
The main mistakes of teaching a dog to a muzzle:
- Use the uncomfortable muzzle model.Too small, unsuitable in shape, rubbing the skin, crushing.
- Haste.Excessively fast transition to the next stage of training.
If the dog tries to steal the accessory, it is very important to first distract him from this undertaking and only then remove the muzzle.
Negative associations should not be formed, for example, wear a muzzle just before grafting, clipping claws, cleaning the ears. First you need to give the animal a walk or a run to avoid a direct connection: the muzzle is painful or unpleasant.
Encouragement for the diligent wearing of a muzzle should be before it is removed. Otherwise, it turns out – who has achieved that this thing was removed from the muzzle, he did well.
Using simple recommendations, you will easily succeed, and wearing a muzzle will not cause difficulties. The dog breeder, in turn, this pet skill will help to avoid many unpleasant situations. Remember – encourage the dog should not only food. Praise the dog sincerely, and she will surely feel your mood, will want to please you.
You will be interested
Education and training Labrador since the puppy appeared in the house
As soon as the Labrador puppy is 7-8 weeks old, the new owner can safely take him to him. Read more
Choosing the right dog muzzle
A muzzle for a dog is just as important a part of a canine “ammunition” as a leash or collar. Opinion. Read more
How to teach a dog the command “give a paw” – we analyze it in stages with an indication of errors
Beginning breeders sometimes believe that the command “give a paw” is just a kind of transfer of human relations to. Read more
Yorkshire Terrier – training, care and nutrition
Yorkshire terriers are great for the role of pets. They do not need very long walks, they. Read more
Pros and cons of the Yorkshire Terrier breed – size, character, wool, food
Yorkshire Terrier is a miniature creature with a funny and charming appearance. This breed for several years. Read more
Labrador puppy – home care and education
When an incredibly funny and cute Labrador puppy appears in a family, not everything is in full measure. Read more