Keeping a dog in the city involves the use of a muzzle and other necessary ammunition. However, not all pets are loyal to wearing a “wardrobe item” of this kind. Particularly obstinate pets shake their faces and stop on the spot, not wanting to continue the walk. To teach a dog to a muzzle, the owner must apply a lot of strength and have patience. Let’s talk about how to do everything right without harm to the psyche of the ward.
Why do you need a muzzle for a dog
- Pets of small size differ in temperament, they often grab the leg of the children and the owner himself. Also, the ammunition will not allow the dog to injure a person passing by.
Choosing a muzzle for a dog
The muzzle is necessary to protect others from possible aggression of the dog, as well as to prevent poisoning of the pet. Ammunition should be worn for other reasons, which we have indicated above. Depending on the destination, isolated "deaf" or mesh muzzles. They can be leather, metal, nylon.
- Leather muzzle. The accessory is distinguished by its special strength and durability. Ammunition does not rub the animal’s face, but in the summer it makes breathing difficult due to poor throughput. Muzzles of this type are bought for small or medium breeds. A large individual will easily break the attribute with paws. Leather ammunition can be woven and complete. The first option is suitable to prevent aggression, the second is used with the goal – to exclude the selection of food from the ground.
- Metal muzzle (mesh). This type of muzzles is considered to be the most durable, durable, cheap. The option should be addressed only in cases where the pet has already grown up and is fully accustomed to the attribute on the face. If you immediately put on metal ammunition, the dog will kick and may injure the owner. Many veterinarians are wary of young individuals who were brought for examination in a metal muzzle.
- Nylon muzzle. Nylon ammunition today is considered the most popular. Muzzles are light, easy to use, do not cause discomfort to the animal. Due to the breathing and sliding material, the dog feels free. Thanks to the adjustment, you can purchase ammunition for growth. The negative characteristic is considered that nylon muzzles are produced only open. You will not prevent the selection of food from the ground, but reduce the amplitude of the opening of the mouth of the animal.
Important! If your pet is overly aggressive, give preference to muzzles with a maximum reduction in the amplitude of the opening of the mouth. Also, make sure that the ammunition has two or three buckles that tightly fix the accessory on the back of the head.
Features of training a dog to a muzzle
- If the pet belongs to a large breed, start training for a muzzle with six months. For small and medium-sized individuals it is necessary to increase the period to 7-8 months.
- At first, your main task is to prevent negative emotions. No need to punish the animal for disobedience. Tell the pet that the muzzle is a temporary and necessary thing.
- If soon there should be a situation in which the animal will be uncomfortable, do not wear a muzzle at this time. This may include planned or unscheduled bathing, care for teeth (claws, hair), treatment at the vet, etc. The dog must compare the wearing of ammunition with good events in life.
How to teach a dog to muzzle
- First you need to conduct training. It is important to understand that the first acquaintance is carried out exclusively at home.
- After purchase, unpack the ammunition, put it on the floor or sofa. Call pet, let him sniff a muzzle. Do not allow an animal to gnaw an accessory or play with its paws. All attempts stop the command "You can not!".
- After sniffing you need to hang the ammunition on the pet. To do this, fasten the tape muzzle around the neck, do not put a cap on the face. Evaluate the animal’s reaction: if the dog is calm, let the apartment be like a third of an hour. While the muzzle dangles on the neck, watch the reaction of the pet.
- He still can not nibble ammunition. If the dog behaves obstinately (trying to remove the attribute with paws, barks, bites), act smarter. Put inside the "basket" purchased delicacy, the ward should see the treat.
- When the dog tries to eat delicious food from a kind of bowl, let him do it. The first steps are completed. These preparatory activities are carried out until the dog starts to rejoice at the fastening of the buckles on the neck.
- The animal will compare the training with the fact that with every action he is allowed to eat a treat. The dog will wag its tail and look forward to further training. It is not necessary to attach the muzzle around your neck, you can carry it in your hand, going for a walk.
If you often walk with a dog without a leash, putting a muzzle on an animal, you prevent possible injuries from passersby. When a dog runs on a person in ammunition, the pedestrian is confident in his own safety, so he will not defend himself with his feet and hands.