From the article you will learn what you need and how the muzzle for dogs of different breeds is chosen correctly. After reviewing the review, you will understand the types of this accessory. Determine which material is best for your pet. We hope that the information obtained will help you in acquiring the "right" muzzle. And you can easily select a product that does not harm your pet, protect it and other people from conflict situations.
Walking dogs in Russia in public places put in a muzzle. The owners of calm pets believe that their well-behaved pet does not need a muzzle. But even the most quiet four-legged friend can show aggression in a public place for various reasons, often independent of him.
There are other reasons for using this product:
- Transportation of a pet in public transport.
- To visit the veterinarian.
- When training an adult.
- To protect against poisoning, pets often pick up pieces of food and things from the ground that may threaten the health of the animal.
- To ensure good relations with neighbors at home, the site, to protect them and the pet from unwanted interaction and reproaches.
How to teach
Many animals do not like this necessary accessory. How to accustom a dog to a muzzle, without injuring its psyche? Canine experts recommend to teach your pet to the necessary protective agent from puppyhood. It is impossible to use force or punish a four-legged friend in case of refusal to muzzle. Show the trick, put a muzzle next to the pet, put inside a piece of treat.
After the dog takes a piece, praise her. Repeat the lesson several times a day (5-6), giving your pet the opportunity to get used to the ammunition. At first, wear a muzzle for a few minutes. Gradually increase the time of wear. Over time, the pet will calm down and get used to the new part of its wardrobe.
What are the types
Canine ammunition differs in the type of execution (deaf, mesh, strip, combined) and material.
- Fabric – soft muzzle, made most often from very thick cotton or nylon fabric. It is used throughout the year. Advantages: no discomfort, does not squeeze the nose, does not rub the skin. Suitable for small and medium-sized rocks with a long muzzle. Such ammunition does not allow to pick up garbage from the ground and drink from puddles, soothes others. Used to teach a puppy to accessory. Cons: does not breathe through the mouth, in the hot season can lead to overheating of the animal. Not suitable for large breeds, brachycephalic (with a short muzzle).
- Leather – it is made in the form of a blind, tightly fitting accessory mouth or from strips forming a net. The deaf look is used for aggressive individuals. Grid of soft strips of skin – a good option for medium and large breeds. Advantages: no pressure on the nose, the design flexibility allows the animal to breathe open mouth, lick, drink, has excellent ventilation. Disadvantages: it quickly gets dirty with saliva, it dries long after washing. It is recommended to choose with rivets, covered from the inside.
- Metal – made in the form of a grid, designed for large aggressive individuals, such as fighting breeds. There are models that have a leather lining in the nose. This avoids rubbing. Pros: reliably protects against bites, allows you to breathe freely, drink, eat, lick. Cons: you can not wear in the cold, heavy.
- Plastic – made of special silicone, rubber, artificial materials. Has the form of a grid, baskets. Pros: durability, ease, simplicity in hygienic processing. Disadvantages: cracking from low temperatures, if not provided with a lining at the nose, can rub this part of the muzzle. Good for small and medium breeds.
Separate view – bridles (loops), fabric or leather strap fixes the jaw, is fixed on the back of the head of the pet. Used for nervous individuals who are under stress from more massive ammunition. Many owners prefer to make a comfortable muzzle for the dog with their own hands. For this purpose dense fabrics of dark, calm colors are used.
Muzzle for a doggie can be knitted or crocheted. Pluses of homemade accessories: perfect fit, quickly washed and dried. Design accessories are very popular among some dog lovers. For example, a scary muzzle for dogs with teeth, called "Werewolf," is now popular.
How to choose
Basic selection rules:
- The product must match the size of the muzzle;
- The animal must breathe freely in it, open its mouth;
- The accessory should not hang out, reap or easily removed by the pet;
- It should not put pressure on the nose and eyes;
- The number of fasteners, depending on the nature of the pet, choose a calm 1-2 fasteners, briskly – more;
- Choose a quality material, a convenient form of the product, see the manufacturer’s brand.
Your pet in the purchased ammunition should be comfortable. How to take measurements for the purchase of a product in order to choose the right muzzle for a dog by size:
- Measure the length of the muzzle – from nose to eyes;
- Head length – from nose to neck;
- The circumference of the muzzle is the value in the widest part of the muzzle along the circumference plus 3 cm;
- Girth of the neck – around the circumference of the back of the head;
- The distance from one ear to the other;
- The distance between the eyes of the animal.
How to choose a breed
Each dog product is selected individually. It takes into account the size, character and behavior of the individual. Approximate recommendations on the size and types of muzzles:
- Fabric, plastic and leather (light) resemble small dogs: dachshunds, Bichon Frize, Maltese lapdogs, Cocker Spaniels. The approximate girth of the muzzle is up to 21 cm. This ammunition is suitable for medium-sized pets: fox terriers, miniature schnauzers, whipples (with a girth of the muzzle up to 26 cm).
- Plastic and leather (medium weight) are suitable for larger breeds with a girth of muzzle of 30 cm: aussie, pit bulls, standard schnauzers, standard poodles, border collie and others.
- Metal and heavy leather products are recommended for strong, large or aggressive breeds: rottwellers, European and German shepherds, amstaffs, Cane Corso, Labradors, Malamutes, Akito, Curry Blue Terriers, Golden Retrievers, Dogmas, Mastiffs, Black Terriers, Dobermans and other medium and large molossi.
Special models – for brachycephalus with a shortened face, suitable for Staffordshire terriers, lapdogs, Pekingese, pugs and others. Each owner, starting a dog, must provide it with the necessary ammunition: a collar, a leash and a muzzle. It is necessary to take care of the pet’s health, the calmness of the pet and surrounding people. What do you think about walking dogs without muzzles in public places?