Overclocking the processor is an increase in the speed of the chip compared to the manufacturer’s stated performance. The most popular way is to increase the clock speed. In this case, the clock cycle of the processor is slightly reduced in time, and it does the same for this clock cycle. So, the speed of computing is growing. The advent of multi-core processors gave rise to another overclocking option. unlocking the cores disabled by the manufacturer. But this is the lot of professional overclockers, and we will leave witchcraft with cores outside the scope of this article. Consider only a few of the safest options for overclocking a laptop processor.
Why is overclocking a laptop processor
Let’s start with the question “why.” Getting great performance at the same processor cost seems like a profitable solution. In addition, with an increase in the clock frequency of the chip bus, as a rule, memory also works faster. As a result, applications begin to work a little faster. In fairness, it is worth noting that in modern chipsets for desktop computers, you can overclock the CPU and RAM in different ways. But not in laptops.
Where might a high performance laptop processor be required? Obviously, in games and heavy applications like Adobe Photoshop, very demanding on the CPU. Modern browsers also actively use the processor on “heavy” pages on the Internet. Website developers today are actively using the multimedia capabilities of HTML 5 and Flash. That is, great performance is required in almost all everyday tasks of a laptop user.
Overclocking a laptop processor: step by step
Attention! When you independently overclock the processor according to our tips, you need to remember the following things:
- Overclocking the processor increases productivity, but at the same time, power consumption also increases. So the battery of your laptop will last for less time and the chip will become stronger. It is necessary to provide good ventilation inside the case. At a minimum, do not cover the special slots located on the bottom and back of the laptop.
- In the long run, overclocking can reduce the life of the processor.
Easy overclocking with Windows
The safest for laptops is considered to be “overclocking” by changing the power mode.
1. Open the Power Options program in Windows 7 or 8.1.
2. Install “High Performance”. a special power scheme that requires maximum performance from the processor.
Thus, we overclocked the laptop processor using regular means and without any risk.
Video: How to Speed Up Your Lenovo G50 Laptop 30
Software overclocking using special utilities
Here begins the description of overclocking methods that are associated with a certain risk for the average user. Therefore, do everything carefully and with a very small step. For example, if the processor frequency is 1 GHz, then it is foolish to require him to conquer the peak of 1.5 GHz. The maximum that can be done safely is 10-15%. All other figures are achieved only by special means with a change in the cooling system and power supply of the chip.
1. Download the CPU-Z program.
She does not know how to overclock the processor. But the CPU-ID will give us complete information about the chip that is installed in our laptop. Knowing this information, we can understand how much extra gigahertz we can count on.
2. Download the special SetFSB utility. This program is able to control the processor clock speed without using the BIOS.
Carefully read the list of supported notebook models. You will not find the latest ones in this list, since the situation with the program support is currently incomprehensible. But here are the old laptops, released tentatively before 2014, the utility supports. The sequence of actions is simple. We increase the processor bus clock frequency with a small step and look at the result.
3. We test the laptop for stability after overclocking. The fact that the laptop after overclocking works when you start the Internet browser is already good. But we need to check whether it can withstand a more serious load. Utility Prime 95 will help us. Its advantage is the minimum file size and the absence of the need to spend time on installation.
If during the test you run the CPU-Z program described earlier, you will see that the processor runs at the highest frequency that it is allowed to. If something works unstable: the appearance of a blue screen, freezing, then the frequency should be reduced.
Overclocking a laptop processor via BIOS
Overclocking the processor is also possible through the BIOS settings. But this applies only to individual models. And, I must say, quite rare. It should be understood that a laptop is primarily a mobile device with a long battery life. The processor overclocking options here are not as wide as those of personal computers, but you can do something. The general course of action is something like this.
- We enter the BIOS. Depending on the model of the laptop, you should hold down or often press the Del, Esc or F12 key when turning on the power. There may be other key combinations. It depends on the manufacturer, so read the information about your laptop online or in the user manual.
- The item under which the settings are hidden may be called differently. For example, CPU FSB Clock or CPU FSB Frequency. All we can do is a slight increase in the bus clock speed.
- Increase the clock speed. Reboot the laptop.
After overclocking, we surely test the reliability of the laptop with Prime 95 utility.
Do I need to overclock my laptop?
Laptops are not designed to overclock the processor. On the contrary, manufacturers of mobile chips did everything so that such an overclocking was not required by the user. The frequency automatically decreases when the processor is idle, and increases when the system needs a chip. The most reliable way to not break anything is to use a laptop power switch. The processor will stop lowering the frequency, which will give you a small increase in performance compared to the economical operating modes. In fairness, we recall that the high-speed mode is automatically turned on if you simply plug the plug of the power supply into the laptop. For not the latest laptop models, there is an additional alternative to overclocking the processor. SetFSB utility. And you can check the stability of work in the new overclocked state with the Prime 95 program.