Your IT assistant
When developing Windows 10, Microsoft specialists changed the familiar interface of the screen settings. It has become simpler, allowing users to make various settings on an intuitive level. The determination of the optimal screen parameters occurs already during the installation of the system in automatic mode. It remains only to configure them for a specific user, if the need arises. The parameters set must correspond to the maximum capabilities of the display screen and video adapter. This achieves the most accurate graphics and color gamut.
Screen Resolution Setting
Setting up the screen on a personal computer, tablet or laptop with Windows 10 does not pose a big difficulty for any user. Its interface is simple and intuitive, which allows you to modify the screen as you wish in a few clicks. To configure:
- Left-click on the “Start” button.
- Click on the “Options” icon.
In the “Start” menu, click on the “Settings” icon
- Click on the “System” icon in the “Options” window. In the “Parameters” window, click on the “System” icon
- Click the Screen tab. View your screen settings
- Check screen resolution. It must comply with the recommended resolution of the device.
- If the resolution is set correctly, then click on the “Graphics Adapter Properties” button. Click on the “Graphics Adapter Properties” button
- Make sure that your adapter is set in the “Adapter Type” tab. Check if the video adapter is installed correctly.
- Close the “Graphics Adapter Properties” by clicking on the “OK” button.
- Change the screen resolution if necessary.
- Close the system settings window.
- Screen setup is complete.
Other screen settings can be adjusted as needed.
When installing Windows 10, all screen settings, as a rule, are automatically configured. The exception is the rare or outdated types of video adapters whose drivers are not in the database on Microsoft servers. In this case, the driver is downloaded from the manufacturer’s website or is installed from the optical disk, which is attached to the computer or laptop when sold. It contains the distributions of all drivers for installed devices.
Increase or decrease screen brightness and contrast
Brightness and contrast are some of the main screen settings. Each user adjusts them individually to their own requirements.
Contrast on laptops and tablets is automatically adjusted. On the monitors and displays of personal computers there is a Menu button, with which you can adjust the contrast using the device menu.
There are several options for changing the screen brightness settings that you can apply.
Changing the screen brightness in the system settings
There are two ways to call up screen settings:
- First way:
- right-click on the free space of the “Desktop”;
- click on the “Screen Settings” icon.
Click on the “Screen Settings” icon.
- The second way:
- left-click on the “Start” button;
- click on the “Options” icon;
- click on the “System” icon.
- Click the Screen tab.
- Move the “Change brightness” slider to adjust the brightness level of the screen. Change the brightness of the screen with the slider “Change brightness”
- After choosing the optimal brightness level, close the “Options” window.
Video: how to change the brightness of the screen through the settings of Windows 10
Changing the screen brightness using the keyboard
Almost all modern types of keyboards have the ability to change the brightness of the screen without resorting to system settings. Previously, only laptops had this capability, but now this function is also inherent in many types of personal computer keyboards. As a rule, you can change the brightness with the help of two keys, which bear the sun icon and arrows, indicating an increase or decrease in brightness. They are most often in the upper or lower case of the keyboard.
Use the keys to adjust the brightness level of your screen
In some cases, to change the brightness of the screen, you need to press the Fn key together with these keys.
Change the brightness of the screen through the “Notification Center”
In the “Notification Center” you can set the brightness level of the screen only in fixed positions. To change the brightness level, follow these steps:
- Click on the icon of the “Notification Center” in the lower right corner of the screen on the “Taskbar”. Click on the “Notification Center” icon
- If the tiles in the expanded menu of the “Notification Center” are minimized, then first expand them by clicking on the “Expand” line.
- Click on the tile to change the brightness of the screen. The brightness level will go to 0%. Set the desired screen brightness
- By clicking on the tile, change the brightness in steps of 25% in the range from 0 to 100%.
Changing the screen brightness using the battery indicator in the “Taskbar”
For laptops and tablets, the “Taskbar” has a battery indicator, which can also be used to change the brightness of the screen:
- Left-click on the battery indicator. Click on the battery indicator
- Click on the tile to change the brightness of the screen. Adjust screen brightness
- You can change the brightness level for fixed values from 0 to 100% in increments of 25%.
- Click on the “Power and Hibernation Settings” tab. Click on the “Power and Hibernation Settings” tab
- Click on the line “Advanced power settings” on the right side of the opened window “Parameters”. Click on the “Advanced Power Options” tab.
- In the “Power” window, set the desired brightness using the “Screen brightness” slider. Adjust the brightness level of the screen using the slider
- Click on the tab “Configuring the power scheme”. Click on the tab “Configuring the power scheme”
- In the “Change Schema Parameters” panel that opens, use the “Adjust Brightness” slider to achieve its optimal level when powered by mains and battery. Adjust the brightness when powered by mains and battery
Video: How to Set Up a Display On Windows 10
Change screen brightness through the Start menu
The Start key can also be used to go to the panel for changing screen brightness settings. To do this, do the following:
- Right-click on the “Start” button.
- Select the “Power Management” line. Click on the line “Power Management”
- Click the Screen tab. Click on the “Advanced Power Settings” button. Click on the “Screen” icon and on the “Advanced power settings” tab
- Adjust the brightness level of the screen as described in the previous paragraphs of this article.
What to do if the screen blinks
The frequent blinking of the screen in Windows 10 can be caused by two problems:
- Using outdated video adapter drivers
- incompatibility of the software application installed on the computer and system requirements.
The problem is not as common as during the period when Windows 10 was just beginning to spread.
This is due to the fact that the main companies that produce components for computers have brought their software applications to the required parameters. On those computers where video adapters made 6-7 years ago are installed, incompatibility may occur, since their drivers were developed without taking into account modern requirements.
To fix the error, you need to find out if the driver or software application is the source that creates the screen blinking. To solve the problem and restore the normal operation of the screen and video adapter, you must use the following method:
- Right-click on the “Taskbar”.
- Click on the line “Task Manager”. In the menu, click on the line “Task Manager”
- Check for blinking in the “Task Manager” panel. If the panel blinks with the screen, then the reason is in the old video adapter driver. If this does not happen, then the reason is in some of the installed software applications. Check for the presence of a blinking “Task Manager” panel
- Double-click on the “Control Panel” icon on the “Desktop”. On the “Desktop”, double-click on the icon “Control Panel”
- Click on the “Administration” icon in the “All Control Panel Items” window. Click on the “Administration” icon.
- Double-click on “Computer Management” in the “Administration” window. Double-click on “Computer Management”
- Expand the Event Viewer tab in the Computer Management window. Expand the Event Viewer tab
- Expand the Windows Logs tab. Expand the Windows Logs directory
- Check the Application and System tabs for errors.
- If a software application compatibility error is found in the Application tab, delete it. Then download the latest edition of the application from the website of the developer company and install it on your hard drive. Click on the “Application” tab and check for errors
- If an error in the “System” tab indicates that an updated video adapter driver is needed, then perform the same operations to replace it as for a software application. Click on the System tab and check for errors
What to do if applications or games do not open in full screen
All modern programs are automatically adjusted to the screen size. If you install an application or game that was developed many years ago for old editions of Windows, then they can deploy in a reduced size. In this case, it becomes necessary to expand them to full screen. There are several ways to solve this problem:
- The use of hot keys:
- simultaneously press the keyboard keys Alt and Enter;
- the application will expand to full screen;
- when you press the keys again, the application will return to its previous state.
- Change launch options:
- right-click on the icon of the game or application on the “Desktop”;
- select “Properties” in the drop-down menu; In the drop-down menu, select the line “Properties”
- in the panel that opens, click on the “Compatibility” tab; Click on the “Compatibility” tab.
- press the button “Run the compatibility troubleshooting tool”; Click on the “Run Compatibility Troubleshooter” button.
- if the application did not expand to full screen, check the “Compatibility mode” box and select the required Windows edition from the drop-down list. Please note that the Windows 10 edition is not listed. Last on the list will be Windows 8.
Select the desired edition of Windows
- click on the “OK” key.
- Update video driver:
- Define the model of the video adapter in the “Device Manager”;
- go to the website of the manufacturer;
- Download and install the new driver.
- Changing the graphic settings of the game:
- start the game;
- enter the settings;
- Find the item to change the screen settings;
- set full screen mode;
- reboot your computer.
- Change screen resolution:
- click on the free space of the “Desktop” with the right mouse button;
- select “Screen Settings”; Select Screen Settings
- Change the screen resolution to fit the game or application in full screen. Click on the required screen resolution.
If a screen resolution of 640×480 is required for a game or application, you can set it in the “Parameters” section of the “Compatibility” tab. But it must be a very old game or application that was created during the appearance of Windows in the software market.
Touch Screen Calibration on Windows 10 Tablets
Calibration of the touch screen must be performed to adequately respond to the touch of the tablet fingers. If the device is not calibrated, then instead of the pressed letters, others will appear on the screen or the image will rotate one hundred eighty degrees.
To calibrate the touch screen, do the following:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Touch the “Tablet Computer Settings” shortcut.
- Press the “Calibrate” key. Touch the Calibrate Key
- When prompted for account control, answer “Yes.”
- The calibration program starts.
- In the program window, touch the cross-marked areas of the touch screen.
- Apply the changes.
- Reboot the tablet.
- If the calibration was performed with errors, then click “Reset” and repeat the calibration.
Turn off screen dimming or dimming
With prolonged inactivity, the display screen goes blank after a certain period, and after a few minutes the computer goes into sleep mode, completely turning off. In the system parameters, you can set the option when the transition to sleep mode and screen dimming are turned off. To disable the power-saving mode, you need to carry out a number of operations:
- Left-click on the “Start” button.
- Open Options.
- Select the System section.
- Click on the “Power and Hibernate” icon.
- Click the Advanced Power Options button.
- In the “Power Options” window, click on the “Configure Power Scheme” button. Select “Power Settings”
- In the line “Turn off the display”, turn off the dimming of the screen when using the mains or battery. To do this, select “Never” in the drop-down lists. Select “Never” in the drop-down list.
- Similarly, in the fields next to the icon “Put the computer to sleep”, turn off the computer in the off state. In the drop-down list, click on the item “Never”
- Click Save Changes.
When working with a stand-alone device, it is not recommended to turn off the screen dimming and sleep mode. Disabling will lead to a faster discharge of the battery and, as a result, to reduce the user’s time with a laptop or tablet.
One of the main criteria of the graphical interface is brightness, contrast and color gamut. The more clearly the display of graphic objects looks, the more comfortable the work will be for the user. Therefore, do not neglect the waste of several minutes in order to achieve maximum effect when displaying graphics and text documents on the screen. It should be remembered that improper adjustment of the screen parameters also affects the user’s visual apparatus and can lead to gradual visual impairment. To customize the screen and eliminate small problems with the image, you can use the methods described in this article. If they do not lead to the desired result, then you should contact the specialists of the service center.