It happened that they set a long-playing task, but didn’t have time to sit at a computer? Maybe it’s time to go or sleep, and someone should turn off the computer. Auto shutdown will help you.
In what cases is this necessary? Well, for example, if you:
- enabled full computer scan for viruses
- started the video conversion process
- Download a large amount of information from the Internet
- install a “heavy” program or game
- copy a large amount of data, for example for backup
- and a bunch of options for every taste
Some programs have a checkmark, such as “Automatically shut down the computer after the process is complete” or “Auto Shutdown”, for example, as in Nero after the disc has finished burning. But if the program does not provide such an opportunity, then you have to plan a scheduled auto-shutdown.
This is nothing complicated. You just need to set the time after which the computer should turn off, or turn on the timer. You need to calculate the time yourself. If the program writes the estimated runtime, then throw 20-30% and get what you need. And if you don’t write, then estimate the time according to the speed of the task.
To schedule a computer shutdown on a schedule, you can use two simple methods:
- Standard Tools Windows XP / 7/8/10
- Third-party timer programs
Personally, I prefer to use special programs, they are simple and understandable. Now we will analyze the standard method.
Automatically shutdown your computer using standard Windows tools
For this we need the standard “Task Scheduler”. So, we will analyze in detail the steps how to configure the “Task Scheduler” to turn off the laptop after a certain time:
- We launch the “Task Scheduler” through “Start.> Control Panel.> Administration.> Task Scheduler “, or just write the word” scheduler “in the search menu of the Start menu
- In the task scheduler, we can go to the “Task Scheduler Library” and see all active tasks. Click on “Create a simple task”
- In the first window, write a friendly name for the task, for example, “Turn off the computer” and click “Next”
- We select the frequency of the task launch. For a one-time action, “Once” is suitable
- And enter the desired response time
- In the next step, leave the default value “Run the program”
- And enter the name of the program “shutdown“With arguments”-s.f“. The “-f” switch is optional, but I recommend putting it. He forcibly closes naughty programs.
- Click Finish
Video: How to Set Computer Auto Shutdown In Windows 8
Everything, the task is created. To view it and change the time, you need to go to the task scheduler library and click on our task 2 times with the mouse. Next, go to the “Triggers” tab and click “Change”. Everything is explained in detail in the figure.
At the indicated time, all programs will be completed and the computer will turn off. Take care of saving all data in open programs in advance.
You probably already noticed that we entered the name of the program “shutdown” and the arguments “–s.f”. In principle, you can enter just “shutdown –s.f”, and do not enter anything else into the argument field. Then the planner will warn that he himself has discovered the arguments and will ask permission to use them.
Delayed computer shutdown via command line
You can also turn off the computer without the task scheduler through the command line in the Run window. And more specifically, then:
- We call the window “Run” through the menu “Start.> Run “or hot keys” Win R “
- Enter “shutdown –s –f. t 1000”, where “1000” is the number of seconds after which automatic shutdown will occur
- Press “Enter”
Those. we write everything the same way, only “1000” is changed to the required number of seconds (3600 seconds in one hour). After the specified time has elapsed, one more minute will remain, as a special window will warn
If you change your mind about turning off the computer, just enter the command “shutdown.a” in the “Run” window.
On the video you can familiarize yourself with the programs for conveniently determining the schedule or events for turning off the computer / laptop: