If the device is buggy, does not turn on, or you are going to sell it, you should return the factory settings.
How to reset iPhone or iPad through the settings menu
This method is suitable when the device is working and you can unlock its screen. Resetting through the settings menu is performed to erase all personal data from the iPhone or iPad before selling. Or to restore the normal operation of the device when it continues to slow down even after a restart.
1. Back up your important data
If you want to save personal information, create a local backup of your iPhone or iPad on your computer through iTunes and / or a cloud copy in iCloud. By doing this, you can restore erased data on the current or new device.
How to back up via iTunes
1. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer and launch iTunes. If necessary, enter the password for authorization.
2. Click on the device’s icon above the iTunes sidebar and select “Browse” in the panel itself.
3. Click Create Copy Now. If, along with other information, you want to save the data of the Health and Activity programs, first check the box “Encrypt backup”, enter the password and remember it.
4. Follow the prompts of the program, and then wait for the backup to complete.
How to back up in iCloud
1. Connect your mobile device to the Internet.
2. Click “Settings” → username → iCloud. If your device is running iOS 10.2 or older, click “Settings”, lower the settings page down and select iCloud.
Make sure that the switches opposite the “Contacts”, “Calendars” and other programs in the iCloud menu are active.
Video: How to reset iphone 5
3. Lower the page down and click “Backup to iCloud.” On the next screen, make sure the “Backup to iCloud” switch is turned on.
4. Click “Create backup” and wait until the time of the last created copy on this screen is updated.
1. Open the “Settings” → “General” → “Reset” section and click “Erase Content and Settings”.
2. Confirm data erasure and wait for the process to complete. If the system asks you to turn off the Find iPhone feature, do it in the Settings section → username → iCloud.
When the device restarts, it will already have factory settings.
If you cannot reset through the settings because you forgot your password, read this manual.
How to reset iPhone or iPad in recovery mode
This method is for those cases when the iPhone or iPad does not turn on. As a result, all personal data will be erased and you can restore it only if backups were previously created in iCloud or on your computer.
1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and launch iTunes.
2. Force restart the iPhone. On different models, this is done in different ways.
On iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus, press and immediately release the increase button first, and then the volume down button. Then hold down the side button and hold it until the recovery screen appears on the mobile device.
On iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, hold down the volume down button and the side button at the same time until the mobile device enters recovery mode.
On iPhone 6s Plus and earlier models, as well as on iPad, hold down the top (or side) button and the Home button at the same time and hold them until the recovery screen appears on the gadget.
3. When iTunes prompts you to restore or update the device, click Restore and follow the prompts.
When the machine restarts, it will be the factory settings.