A few simple ways to share the Internet with mobile devices and other computers.
If you need to provide shared access to the Network for several gadgets, but there is no router at hand, you can do without it. This guide will help turn your computer into a router for distributing the Internet through an access point (Wi-Fi network) or an Ethernet cable.
How to share the Internet on a Windows computer
1. How to distribute the Internet from a computer using the Mobile Hot Spot function (Windows 10 only)
The fastest way to share the Internet wirelessly, without requiring additional programs and complex settings.
1. Find the “Mobile Hot Spot” menu: select “Start” → “Settings” (gear) → “Network and Internet” → “Mobile Hot Spot”.
2. In the "Sharing an Internet connection" field, select the type of connection that provides the connection between the current computer and the Internet. It can be a wireless Wi-Fi (or 3G) or Ethernet connection.
3. Click "Change" and in the next window specify the name and password of the new wireless network through which the computer will distribute the Internet.
4. At the top of the page, enable the option "Allow the use of my Internet connection on other devices."
After that, you can distribute the Internet through the created Wi-Fi network. It is enough to connect the necessary devices to it using the password created in the third step. And you can turn off the Internet distribution in the same place where the wireless connection is turned off. in the "Network" window on the taskbar.
2. How to distribute the Internet from a computer through the command line
Another way to share wireless Internet without third-party programs. Not as simple as the previous one, but it works not only in Windows 10, but also in previous versions of the OS.
1. Run the command prompt. To do this, enter in the search in the "Command" system, right-click on the item found and select "Run as administrator".
2. To create a new network for Internet distribution, enter the command netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = Stacy key = 4419E1z # in the line and press Enter. Instead of Stacy, you can enter any other network name, and instead of 4419E1z # you can enter any other password.
3. To activate the created access point, type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press Enter again. If the commands worked, you will see the following text.
4. Now allow other users to access the Internet through the created network. First, open the Windows Control Panel and select Network and Sharing Center.
5. Then right-click on the icon of your computer’s Internet connection, select “Properties” → “Access” and check the box next to permission requests. In the “Connecting a home network” field, select the wireless connection created in the second step of the instruction.
After that, you can connect other devices to the Wi-Fi network configured in this way with the specified password. To disable the access point, at a command prompt, type netsh wlan stop hostednetwork. To enable it again, use the netsh wlan start hostednetwork command.
If the Internet does not work on the connected devices, open the "Device Manager" menu through the "Control Panel", expand the "Network Adapters" item, and check that all devices from this list are turned on. If you find inactive among them, enable them using the context menu.
If you encounter other problems, try reinstalling the network adapter drivers manually by downloading them from the manufacturer’s website, or automatically using Driver Booster or DriverPack. The latter will do everything for you.
3. How to distribute the Internet from a computer using third-party software
If you do not want to bother with the command line, you can use a special utility to quickly configure a wireless access point. With the free Connectify Hotspot program, you can do it in a few minutes.
- Download and install Connectify Hotspot.
- Launch the program and follow the on-screen prompts. The Russian language of the interface can be selected in the settings. The utility will ask you to set the type of computer connection to the Internet and the parameters of the new wireless network. After that, it remains to click on the start button to activate the access point.
When you’re done, you can distribute the Internet to other devices via Wi-Fi. You can control the wireless network directly in the program window.
Connectify Hotspot also has a paid version with additional features. For example, it allows you to distribute not only stationary Internet via Wi-Fi, but also 3G and 4G. Hotspot Pro costs 35.
4. How to distribute the Internet from a computer using a cable
If you need to share the Internet with another computer that does not have a Wi-Fi adapter, you can do this using a regular Internet cable. This method is called a network bridge.
- Connect the Ethernet ports of both devices with a cable.
- On the computer from which you want to distribute the Internet, open the "Control Panel" and go to the "Network and Sharing Center" → "Change adapter settings" section. Names in different versions of Windows may vary.
- In the window that opens, select the two connections using the Ctrl key. The first should be responsible for connecting your computer to the Internet. The second is for connecting a second computer to this one. Right-click on either of the two connections and select “Bridge Setup”.
After a few seconds, a new connection with the name “Network Bridge” should appear, and the status “Connected, Connected” should be displayed next to the used connections. If everything goes well, the Internet will work on the second computer. But this may not happen immediately, but after 10-15 minutes.
How to Share Internet on Mac
On macOS, it’s pretty easy to set up Internet sharing both over cable and over Wi-Fi. You do not need additional programs for this.
- Expand the Apple menu and go to "System Preferences" → "Sharing."
- Select the “Shared Internet” checkbox in the left pane and specify the type of connection of the current computer to the Internet in the “Shared connection” list on the right side of the window. For example, if it is connected to the network via cable, select Ethernet.
- In the "For computers using" field, select the method of sharing the Internet for other devices. For example, if you want to distribute the Internet wirelessly, choose Wi-Fi, if by cable, then Ethernet.
If you chose Wi-Fi, uncheck the “Internet Sharing” box, click “Wi-Fi Settings” and set the name and password of the access point, then check the “Shared Internet” box again.
After making these settings, you can connect other devices to the computer in the selected way.