Learn how to install apps on your Apple Watch and choose which apps to display on your watch.
When setting up your Apple Watch, you are prompted to install all of your programs immediately or later. If you select the “Install All” option, copies of iPhone programs will be installed on the watch.
After setting up, you can install the program directly on the Apple Watch using the built-in watchOS 6 App Store program.
watchOS 6 is compatible with Apple Watch Series 1 and later. Upgrading to watchOS 6 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later.
Installing programs on the Apple Watch
- Press the Digital Crown to display the Home screen, then press the App Store.
- Click Search to find programs using the Sketch or Dictation functions, or scroll down to view your favorite programs and editorial selections of programs.
- Select a program to view its description, rating and reviews, screen shots, release notes, etc.
- Click the price or "Get".
- When prompted, double-click the side button to download and install the program.
If you download a program on your watch that you haven’t downloaded before, it will automatically appear on your iPhone. To change this setting, on your iPhone, go to the “Settings” menu and select “iTunes Store and App Store”. In the "Automatic downloads" section, enable or disable programs.
Managing Apple Watch apps
You can manage the programs directly on the Apple Watch or using the Watch program on the iPhone.
Removing programs from the Home screen
- Press the Digital Crown to display the Home screen.
- If the programs on the Home screen are displayed in a grid, press and hold the desired program until its icon starts to sway. If the program icon does not sway, be sure to click on it not too hard. Click the uninstall button () on the program you want to uninstall, and then click “Uninstall a program”.
- If the programs on the Home screen are displayed as a list, swipe left the program you want to delete, and press the red delete button.
- Press the Digital Crown to complete.
If you uninstall the Apple preinstalled program from the iPhone, it will also be uninstalled from the Apple Watch. To restore the preinstalled Apple program, you can download it from the App Store to your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Manage your watch’s apps using your iPhone
- Open the Watch program and go to the “My watch” tab.
- Scroll to the program you want to add or remove. Already installed programs are displayed in the "Installed on Apple Watch" section. The programs that can be installed are displayed in the "Available Programs" section.
- To add the program, click "Install."
- To remove the program, click it, then turn off the “Display on Apple Watch” option.
Software Updates on Apple Watch
Turn on automatic downloads and updates, or check for updates manually.
Automatically update programs on Apple Watch
- Press the Digital Crown to open the Home screen, and go to the Settings menu.
- Click the App Store.
- Turn on the Automatic downloads option to automatically download new programs purchased on other devices. Turn on automatic updates to automatically download new versions of programs.
These settings are also available in the App Store section of Watch on iPhone.
Check for updates on the Apple Watch manually
- Open the App Store on the watch and scroll down to the bottom.
- Click Account.
- Click "Updates."
- Click "Update" next to the program to update only it, or click "Update all."
Turn on Auto-install programs on iPhone
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Click on the “My Watch” tab.
- Select "General."
- Enable or disable the option "Automatically install programs." When this option is enabled, any software updates on the iPhone or programs purchased in the future will be automatically installed on the watch.
features when working with programs
- For some third-party programs, you can add extensions to the watch face. Learn how to set up your watch face.
- Learn how to download programs and games from the App Store and update programs on other Apple devices.
- See what to do if you cannot download or update programs on your Apple device.
Information about non-Apple products or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple is not advisory or endorsement. Apple is not responsible for the selection, functionality, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple is also not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of data posted on third-party websites. Contact your supplier for more information.