Cable television is developing and expanding its influence in all regions of Russia, but the use of a conventional antenna remains in demand. Satellite dishes are also in demand. Nevertheless, all these devices for high-quality viewing of television programs must be correctly connected, and connecting the TV to the antenna remains an urgent issue. Most designs are brought to a single standard, but some models require an individual approach, and here you need to know exactly how to connect the antenna to the TV.
What types of television antennas are there?
To date, there are four most popular types of receiving structures:
- Satellite dish. The most efficient and wide-range design, and connecting the TV to the antenna requires the installation of a receiver. Satellite dish can use both cable and wireless connection without cable. An indisputable advantage is a huge number of TV channels, digital image quality.
- A traditional room model with the humorous name “rabbit ears”. Used in the immediate vicinity of the signal source. The design consists of two telescopic telescoping tubes with a length of 30 cm to 1.5 meters. It is preferable in that it is adapted to receive UHF channels. The received signal is of poor quality, so they connect such a television antenna to the receiver in the event of the proximity of a television center or repeater.
- Multiple beam design. It operates with a narrow beam, it is used to receive and highlight a single signal. The beam-type antenna is no less popular than the satellite design. Such a demand is explained by the geography of our country. many regions have a relief terrain in which reception of a TV signal using other designs is difficult. The peculiarity of this device, its advantage and at the same time its disadvantage is that you can tune the reception to a specific wave, cutting off the reception of reflected and weak signals. That is, the signal will be clean, but not multi-channel. However, such a connection of the TV to the beam structure remains in demand.
- The antenna is massive. Such models with an amplifier are used in an area remote from the repeater to receive all possible television signals. The massive model is the same beam construction, only of larger sizes. Such a device is effectively operated in regions remote from broadcasting, or in areas with natural obstacles for high-quality television signal reception. For example, power lines, mountains, gorges, high-rise skyscrapers, etc. There is only one drawback of using a massive model in the urban area. if you want to connect the TV to such a design, then signal interference is possible due to urban industrial interference.
How to connect different types of antennas to a television receiver?
If we consider the connection of all structures, with the exception of satellite dishes, we can conclude that the methods for connecting them are similar to each other. Only wireless connectivity is lacking in cable. First you need to determine the type of connector. Often there is an F connector. this is a cylinder with a small hole at the end for the central core of the RF cable. Both for analog and digital signal F, the connector is better than the others, so the TV is connected to any antenna most often using just such a connection.
We connect a satellite dish
In order to connect a satellite dish to a TV receiver, the circuit must be equipped with the following nodes:
- Satellite dish.
- Connector (connector) for connecting the antenna.
- Cable for tuning (subsequently replaced by a permanent one).
After mounting the plate, all other nodes and elements are connected. Twisting the F-connector too much is not recommended, as you will have to remove it, and possibly several times. After connecting the cable, the receiver and the television receiver are connected to it. From the receiver to the TV, an audio and video cable or other cables with connectors such as HDMI, SCKART, and others can go. In some cases, in addition to the receiver, connecting the antenna to the TV may include a high-frequency modulator in the circuit.
The standard connection of a satellite dish to a TV and its adjustment is to rotate the dish mirror to obtain a high-quality picture. In general terms, it’s clear how to connect a satellite dish, now we’ll look at how other designs are connected.
Good to know:
We connect the indoor antenna
To connect an indoor antenna, no special knowledge is needed. All models are equipped with either a standard RF connector or an F-connector. In extreme cases, connecting the antenna to the TV can be done through an adapter. The setting is also the simplest. you need to choose the optimal position of the rods to get the highest quality signal.
We connect the beam structure
Probably, everyone installed such antennas, so it makes no sense to go into special details. There are several important points:
- The higher the bar on which the home antenna is mounted, the stronger the RF signal.
- With a sufficiently high height of the rod (3 and more meters), it must be strengthened with three or four wire or cable extensions.
- If the antenna is with an amplifier, then it must be sealed in any way possible, but do not forget that you may have to change the amplifier and install a new one.
- Grounding of an active beam antenna with an amplifier is mandatory.
A beam antenna is connected to the TV as standard. through an RF cable and an F connector. It is advisable not to allow unnecessary connections throughout the cable, as this degrades the signal quality. If the connection cannot be avoided, try to make it soldered and well sealed. Any adapters, splitters or tees that will be on the street must also be sealed.
How to connect a massive antenna
A massive structure is most often several combined antennas, so strengthening with braces or struts is necessary. To sum the RF signal from all antennas into one cable, a special high-frequency adder (splitter) is used. Further, the entire scheme is repeated in the same manner as in the previous case.
How to crimp on the cable and properly connect the F connector to the TV:
Properly cut the high-frequency cable and insert it into the F connector. Video instruction on how to properly connect any type of antenna using the F connector to the TV through a splitter or directly.