To connect wireless headphones to the PS4, they must be Sony certified. We’ll tell you how to get around these limitations using auxiliary software and additional equipment.
Using Remote Play
Remote Play is a proprietary application from Sony, designed to display the PS4 interface on the mobile platforms iOS (version 13 and later) and Android (starting with 5.0 Lollipop). To use the software:
- Download the app to your smartphone from the AppStore or Google Play.
- Activate remote playback on the console by following the path “Settings”. “Remote Play Settings”. check the box next to “Enable remote playback on a higher PS4 system.”
- Launch Remote Play and log in to your PSN account to register your smartphone.
- If successful, the device’s display will show the system menu and controls similar to the layout on DualShock 4.
- Now connect the gamepad and AirPods via bluetooth to your smartphone by visiting the appropriate settings.
Attention! This method implies a remote playback system, which can manifest itself in a delayed control response and delayed sound transmission.
We connect a laptop
This method is useful for PS3 and PS4 owners:
Video: How to Connect Airpods to Ps4 Slim
- The TV to which the console is connected must have a 3.5 mm headphone port.
- Connect a laptop to it using an AUX cable.
- On Windows 10, go to “Start”. “Settings”. “Devices”. “Bluetooth and other devices”.
- Activate bluetooth technology and click “Add Bluetooth or another device”.
- Open AirPods so that the laptop can detect the headset and pairing occurs.
- Go to the desktop, right-click on the speaker image on the bottom panel, select “Open sound options.”
- In the Select Output Device panel, check AirPods.
Now the sound from the console will go to the TV under HDMI, from there go to the laptop, and from it via Bluetooth to the headphones.
Not all televisions have a 3.5 mm jack, so you can use adapters from other ports, which will require additional financial investments.
Connect the bluetooth dongle
You can connect AirPods to the PS4 through the Avantree Leaf audio transmitter. DG50 or its equivalent. It looks like a memory card that plugs into the console’s USB port and provides Bluetooth audio. If you have such a device, then plugging it into the port:
- On the PS4, Pro or Slim version console, go to “Settings”. “Devices”. “Audio Devices”. “Input and Output Devices”. select “USB Headset (avantree leaf)”.
- Hold the button on the Bluetooth adapter for a few seconds.
- Open the lid of the AirPods case and hold the reset button on the back.
- Headphones should be paired with the adapter automatically.
Note! Before connecting to an audio transmitter, turn off Bluetooth on all devices previously paired with AirPods.
Such a solution would cost about 2000 rubles. Before buying a sound repeater, make sure that it supports Sony consoles. Its analogue is a transmitter with a 3.5 mm jack, which connects to the USB port of the TV and transmits a signal using an AUX cable similar to the method with a laptop.