Our man for a word does not get into his pocket, but for mail. quite. No, this is not about an envelope with a letter taken out of the drawer and put in a pocket, but about a smartphone, which is our personal "postman" in a modern design.
Many people think that Android phones only allow you to receive Gmail, which is tied to your Google account, and iPhones only work with the box that is associated with the Apple ID. And that other mail accounts need additional programs. In fact, the capabilities of gadgets are enough for everything. Let’s talk about how to set up e-mail on the phone to receive all your accounts in one mailbox. built into the system.
Set up mail in the Gmail app on Android
Add and set up a new account
Mail client "Gmail”, Preinstalled on Android phones, can be used to compose letters of various mail services, except for those that do not support third-party applications, such as the heavily protected ProtonMail and Tutanota. By default, it collects letters only addressed to the Google account associated with the device.
To connect another email account to the Gmail client, do the following:
- Launch the app. If anyone does not know, his label is a white envelope with a red letter “M”.
- Touch the hamburger button and open the side menu. To access the account management section, tap the triangle circled in the screenshot.
- Select “ Add account".
- Select the mail service you want to connect. For example, if the domain name of the server where your mailbox is located, yandex.ru or ya.ru, select Yandex; if gmail.com, choose Google, etc. If the service you need is not listed, your choice is “Other". We will analyze further actions using the example of the latter option.
- Enter your email address. To set default settings for him, click "Further". If you want to specify your parameters, tap the “Manually".
- When choosing manual settings, the program will ask you to specify one of three options for the type of account. For personal mail, these are the POP3 or IMAP protocols (what to choose can be found in the instructions of the users of your mail service). For mail on a corporate server. Exchange, unless otherwise used.
- Re-enter the username or full address of the mailbox and password to enter it.
- In the next step, specify the inbox server. If the program did not detect it yourself, you will have to turn to the manual of your mail service again.
- Next, write the address of the outgoing message server and, if desired, enable automatic login. Then you do not have to enter a password every time you access the mailbox.
- The basic setup is almost done. The small thing is to enable or disable the synchronization of the program with the mail server. If allowed, set the synchronization frequency (15 minutes by default), and enable or disable notification of new letters and startup of attachments when the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Account added. At the final step, you can change your name, which will be displayed in sent letters. By default, the account username is specified instead of the name.
This can be finished, but if you want to configure a new box more finely, open the side menu in the application again, rewind it down and tap the “Settings".
Select the account you want to edit.
The following options are available for change:
- Account name (email address).
- Your name (by default, the account name is used as it).
- Signature in the letter.
- Link an address to another Gmail account.
- Request to display images in letters (if the Internet connection is slow or charged according to the volume of traffic, it is better to enable it).
- Synchronization with the mail server and its frequency (a high frequency of synchronization increases the amount of traffic and speeds up the battery drain of the phone).
- Automatically download files attached to emails when connected to Wi-Fi.
- Notifications of new letters.
- Sort incoming mail by category (unsorted letters, social networks, forums, promotions and notifications). Not supported by all email services.
- Automatic response to incoming emails. Not supported by all email services.
- Auto-substitute quick answers. Not supported by all email services.
- Select a ringtone to alert you to an incoming message.
- Adding shortcuts.
- Vibrosingal for notification of receipt of a letter.
- Incoming and outgoing mail servers (username, address, port and type of encryption) and so on.
In exactly the same way, Gmail adds accounts for other mail services. No quantity limits. Using manual settings, as described above, is usually not necessary, except for connecting corporate accounts or some kind of exotic mail. In other cases, the application selects the optimal default settings.
How to change and delete your account in Gmail
By default, Gmail only displays correspondence for one account. currently active. To check another mail, you need to make it active.
All connected accounts are displayed in the upper field of the main application menu (hidden behind the hamburger button). To switch between them, just touch the desired shortcut. And to simultaneously download messages from all your mails, select "All boxes".
To delete an account from the Gmail application, click the triangle button in the main menu and open "Account management".
Next, select the mail service and account you want to delete. On the next screen, select the desired address again and go to the menu hidden behind the “three dots” button (top right). Tap “Delete account".
Set up email on iPhone and iPad
Connect and set up an account
Adding and configuring an email account on Apple mobile devices is no more time consuming than on Android, but, in my opinion, less intuitive. And they are performed not in the mail section, but in "Accounts and Passwords".
To use an email account other than your Apple ID associated with your iPhone or iPad, do the following:
- Touch in the list “Accounts"Paragraph"Add".
- Select the mail service where your mailbox is registered. If it is not in the list of proposed, click "Other".
- Next, select the "post office"And"New account".
- Enter your account information: username (by default the login email account), email address, password and description (the latter by default matches the address of the mailbox). Touch the “Further".
- In the next window. IMAP, check "post office". Item “Notes»Marking is optional. Save the setting.
- Next, if you think the settings are sufficient, click "Done". A new account will be added. If you want to edit the parameters that are not displayed in this window, click “Additionally".
In chapter "Additionally»Contains the following options:
- The behavior of the boxes. Allows you to assign or change the roles of some folders. drafts, sent, archived and deleted messages.
- The place for moving unnecessary letters is to the basket or archive box.
- The frequency of cleaning the basket (complete destruction of deleted messages). The default is one week.
- Parameters for receiving incoming mail: use SSL encryption, select an authentication method, IMAP server port number and IMAP path prefix.
- Whether to use S / MIME encryption. Disabled by default, supported by most, but not all email services.
After closing the settings window, you will be moved to the section of the newly created account. By the way, there is also a button to delete it.
Now the mail program built into the system will receive letters, including from this mailbox.
Set up the mail application
The parameters of the built-in mail program are configured, as you probably already guessed, through the "post office".
The following is compiled here:
- Application integration with Siri and search engine.
- Methods of notification of incoming correspondence (ringtone and sticker). You can assign individual notification settings to each mailbox.
- Display a list of messages: the number of displayed lines when viewing, labels, swipe options (left, right, with the addition of a flag, etc.), style and color of flags.
- Actions when reading a message (request confirmation of deleting a letter, downloading pictures).
- Sorting and processing of correspondence: grouping by topic, collapsing read letters, location of the last message (top or bottom), completion of topics (showing a chain of letters that make up one subject, even if they were moved to other folders).
- Parameters of the created message: sending a copy of the letter to oneself, marking addresses, indentation when inserting quotes, signatures. general or separate for each account and the default account from which new letters will be sent.
As you can see, the email program on apple phones and tablets allows you to fully configure it for your own needs. Not every third-party application can boast of such functionality. Another plus in the piggy bank of the mailers built into the system. both on Android and Apple, is the lack of advertising, which almost all free analogues are packed with. So both programs are quite good.