To use iMessage or FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you must activate it. If an error message is displayed during the activation process, follow these steps:
When iMessage or FaceTime is activated, one of the following messages may be displayed.
- Pending activation
- Activation failed
- An error occurred while activating
- Login Failed, Check Network Connection
- Unable to connect to iMessage server. Try again.
Check device settings
- Make sure you are connected to a cellular data network or Wi-Fi network. When using an iPhone, activating your phone number for iMessage and FaceTime will require SMS messaging. Depending on the operator, you may be charged for sending an SMS message.
- Select “Settings” > “Basic” > “Date and time” and make sure your time zone is set correctly.
Shutting down and restarting iMessage and FaceTime services
- Go to the Settings menu > Messages and turn off the iMessage feature.
- Go to the Settings menu > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
- Reboot the device.
- Re-enable iMessage and FaceTime.
Video: How to Activate Facetime On Iphone 5
The next day, activation is still not completed?
Activating iMessage and FaceTime can take up to 24 hours. If the problem persists after 24 hours, follow these steps:
- Make sure your device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- If you are using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure you can send and receive SMS messages.
- If your iPhone is served by a service provider that is not mentioned in the articles about mobile service providers, make sure that you can send and receive SMS messages.
- Contact Apple Support.
IMessage and FaceTime can also use your email address. Log in to your Apple ID account page and view all the email addresses registered in it, including the one you’re trying to verify. If the email address is incorrect, you can change it. Then select the re-send option next to the email address you want to verify.
If you cannot sign in to your iMessage or FaceTime account on a Mac, see this article.
FaceTime is not available in all countries and regions.
Information about non-Apple products or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple is not advisory or endorsement. Apple is not responsible for the selection, functionality, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple is also not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of data posted on third-party websites. Contact your supplier for more information.