Deciding to have a dog, any owner should worry about purchasing the necessary ammunition. In addition to the collar and leash, the dog needs a suitable muzzle. The owner is very important to know how to choose a muzzle for a dog, so as not to harm his pet and achieve the goal for which the muzzle is purchased.
Purpose of using muzzles
It is advisable to purchase for the pet several muzzles of different configurations, since each of them has its own purpose:
- For training. The dog is simply taught to wear it and not to attempt to remove it. Wearing a muzzle with a dog without signs of anxiety and without taking actions to get rid of him is one of the points of the programs of the general course of training and protective guard duty.
- Formal: for carrying the dog through a crowd of people, for walking along busy streets or traveling in public transport. The rules for keeping dogs provide for a dog to wear a muzzle in all these conditions, regardless of the size, age, and purpose of the animal.
- To prevent bite. If the dog is going to have a painful or just unpleasant manipulation at the veterinarian, a hairstyle is required for an aggressive dog, or a dog is nervous, in pain or angry, but still needs to walk, a muzzle is necessary.
- To prevent picking up from the ground. Many dogs love to "vacuum" on the street, picking up food debris, excrement of other animals, inedible and dangerous items. This is especially characteristic of puppies and former street wanderers, whose picking was formed as the only opportunity to find food.
- For daily walks. These are universal models that do not allow a dog to bite a person or an animal, pick up something from the ground and will not prevent it from breathing normally.
What are the muzzles?
Leather deaf is a kind of leather “box” with holes for air intake, which will not allow the dog to open its mouth and even bark. In a leather muzzle deaf dog can only grumble deafly. The material is very durable leather that does not tear apart with its claws and does not stretch. Such muzzles are needed for veterinary examination of aggressive dogs or painful veterinary manipulations, for the training of any dog, for conducting a large or nervous unbalanced dog through a crowd of people. Due to poor ventilation, it is allowed to use deaf leather muzzles only for a short time, up to several tens of minutes.
They are completely unacceptable to use for walks, because they can not breathe normally in them, suffer from a lack of oxygen, can get heat stroke due to the inability to open the mouth for normal heat exchange and lose consciousness. Not suitable for dogs with short muzzles and brachycephalus – bulldogs, boxers, Staffordshire terriers, pugs, as they can get hypoxia or heat stroke due to breathing problems even in cool weather. Deaf muzzles for these types of dogs are allowed only for the duration of reception at the veterinarian and only with a clear demonstration of aggression.
Leather mesh – these muzzles are a mesh design of leather straps. In it, a dog can open its mouth, stick out its tongue, breathe freely and drink water. It is suitable even for promoting a dog treat. These muzzles are used for daily walking, transportation of dogs, dog training. But many models of leather mesh muzzles do not prevent dogs from picking up from the ground or licking unwanted items. To prevent the dog from "vacuuming" on the street, you need to choose a model with a deaf or almost deaf bottom and with the widest possible distances between the straps on the sides. It is possible to choose a model for a dog of any breed.
Metal "basket" – in it the dog can drink, get a treat, breathe freely with his mouth open and lick. But this design is quite heavy and is suitable only for an adult animal with a fully formed head. An aggressive dog can bite if it manages to press its muzzled head against a person or another dog. Designs in the form of baskets make it difficult to pick up from the ground and lick items.
In winter, they cannot be worn due to the risk of frostbite on the muzzle and general hypothermia of the dog’s body. Due to the severity, metal “baskets” are allowed to be worn by large, strong dogs – most sheepdogs, bulldogs, medium and large terriers, boxers, rieschnauzers, medium and large molosses.
Plastic is an analog of metal, only much lighter. In it, the dog breathes freely and licks, but cannot pick up from the ground, it is also difficult to bite, because, unlike the metal, the plastic basket is more frequent. In the heat, it is unpleasant for a dog to walk in such a muzzle, and in a frost a poor-quality plastic can crack, but on the whole it is a fairly good choice. It is possible to choose a model for any dog - from small to giant, from brachycephalus to a long-mongrel dog like a Doberman, Collie or Greyhound.
Fabric (nylon) – this is the simplest design in the form of a bandage on the face. It does not prevent the dog from picking up from the ground, licking his lips, breathing, opening his mouth and even biting. The purpose of the tissue muzzle – compliance with the formalities. In such a muzzle, you can walk on a busy street, transport a dog in a vehicle and wear it for the purpose of schooling. In general, it is a cheap, convenient and multifunctional thing. Suitable for all puppies for training to the muzzle, good for long-haired dogs: dachshunds, greyhounds, hounds, many sheep-dogs, are less convenient for dogs with short snouts – Staffordshire terriers, lapdogs, pekingese. Do not fit brachycephalam.
Bridle – This design combines the functions of the muzzle and the collar or harness, because it is attached to a leash. The bridle will not protect you from a bite or pick up from the ground, but it is good for mechanical correction of undesirable behavior during dog training. Formally, such a bridle can be used for walking in busy crowded places and when transporting dogs in vehicles.
How to choose the right muzzle?
In order to properly pick up a muzzle to a dog, you need to decide what purpose it will be used for, take into account the individual characteristics of the pet, and also choose the product of the proper size.
How to determine the size of the muzzle for a dog? It is necessary to measure the length of the muzzle – from the tip of the nose to the transition of the muzzle to the forehead; It is necessary to take into account the distance between the eyes and the distance between the ears of the dog. In accordance with each indicator is selected muzzle. But ideally, it is best to take the pet with you and pick up the ammunition exactly on it. Algorithm how to pick up a muzzle for a dog:
- Determine the purpose of the use of ammunition and, accordingly, select the material and structures,
- Choose the right size
- If possible, try on the product and let the dog get comfortable in it,
- Pay attention to the quality of performance: you should not see the threads, woods, barbs, splinter in any part of the muzzle; the straps should be strong and not stretched; Muzzle rivets for dogs larger than a pug are made of metal, not plastic, otherwise the muzzle will not last for a long time and will fail at the most inopportune moment.
When is a muzzle needed?
The use of a muzzle is necessary for the transport of dogs by public transport, the passage through the crowd of people, the passage near children’s and medical institutions, for walking aggressive dogs of any breed, for walking guard and service dogs.
Rules for the safe use of muzzles
It is not enough to know how to pick up a dog’s muzzle. It is necessary to know and follow the rules of their use to maintain the health of your pet and minimize negative consequences for society. The dog must breathe freely – without whistling and wheezing (except for constantly snoring – French bulldogs, for example). The muzzle must hold freely, without adhering to the muzzle, but do not fall down and not hang out. He should have at least three fixing belts, for dwarf and small dogs – two belts.