External hard drives (HDDs) are becoming more popular day by day, sometimes it seems very soon they will be more popular than flash drives. And no wonder, because modern models are a kind of box the size of a cell phone and contain 1-2 TB of information!
Many users are faced with the fact that the computer does not see the external hard drive. Most often, this happens immediately after purchasing a new device. Let’s try to figure out in order what is the matter here.
If the new external HDD is not visible
By new here is meant the disk that you first connected to your computer (laptop).
1) First what are you doing. go to computer control.
To do this, go to control Panel , then in system and security settings.> administration.> computer control. See screenshots below.
2) Pay attention to the left column. It has a menu. disk management. We pass.
You should see all disks (including external ones) connected to the system. Very often, the computer does not see the connected external hard drive due to the incorrect drive letter designation. You then need to change it!
To do this, right-click on the external drive and select " change drive letter. ". Next, assign the one that is not yet in your OS.
3) If the drive is new, and you connected it for the first time to a computer. it may not be formatted! Therefore, it will not be displayed in “my computer”.
If this is the case, then you will not be able to change the letter (you simply will not have such a menu). You just need to right-click on the external drive and select " create a simple volume. ".
Attention! All data in this process on the disk (HDD) will be deleted! Be careful.
4) Lack of drivers. (Update 05/04/2015)
If the external hard drive is new and you see it neither in “my computer” nor in “disk management”, but it works on other devices (for example, a TV or other laptop sees and detects it). then 99% of the problems are related to Windows OS and drivers.
Despite the fact that modern Windows 7, 8 operating systems are quite “smart” and when a new device is detected, they automatically search for a driver for it. this does not always happen. The fact is that versions of Windows 7, 8 (including all kinds of assemblies from “ craftsmen ") a huge number, and no one canceled various errors. Therefore, I do not recommend immediately eliminating this option.
In this case, I recommend doing the following:
1. Check the USB port if it works. For example, connect a phone or camera, even just a regular USB flash drive. If the device will work, then the USB port has nothing to do with it.
2. Go to the device manager (In Windows 7/8: Control Panel / System and Security / Device Manager) and look at two tabs: other devices and disk devices.
Windows 7: Device Manager reports that there are no drivers for the My Passport ULTRA WD drive in the system.
The screenshot above shows that in Windows there are no drivers for an external hard drive, so the computer does not see it. Usually, Windows 7, 8, when you connect a new device, automatically installs a driver for it. If you do not have this, there are three options:
a) Press the command “Update equipment configuration” in the device manager. Usually, the drivers are automatically installed after this.
b) Search for drivers using special. programs: https://pcpro100.info/obnovleniya-drayverov/;
c) Reinstall Windows (to install, select a “clean” licensed system, without any assemblies).
Windows 7. device manager: drivers for the external HDD Samsung M3 Portable are installed correctly.
If the old external hard drive is not visible
By old here is meant a hard drive that previously worked on your computer, and then stopped.
1. First, go to the disk management menu (see above) and change the drive letter. You should definitely do this if you created new partitions on your hard drive.
2. Secondly, check the external HDD for viruses. Many viruses disable the ability to see disks or block them (free antiviruses).
3. Go to the device manager and see if the devices are detected correctly. There should not be exclamation points yellow (well, or red) that signal errors. It is also recommended to reinstall the drivers on the USB controller.
4. Sometimes, reinstalling the Windows OS helps. In any case, first check the hard drive on another computer / laptop / netbook, and then try reinstalling it.
It is also useful to try to clean the computer from unnecessary garbage files and optimize the registry and programs (here is an article with all utilities: https://pcpro100.info/luchshie-programmyi-dlya-ochistki-kompyutera-ot-musora/. Use a couple. )
5. Try connecting the external HDD to another USB port. It happened that for unknown reasons, after connecting to another port. the drive worked perfectly as if nothing had happened. I noticed this several times on Acer laptops.
6. Check the cords.
Once the external hard did not work due to the cord being damaged. From the very beginning I didn’t notice it and killed 5-10 minutes in search of a reason.