A fairly common problem that many users of personal computers encounter is the lack of an image on the monitor screen, despite the fact that the system unit is functioning at first glance absolutely normal. The article will discuss how to diagnose without the help of specialists, which components of the device must be checked and how to solve the problem.
The article deals with a specific situation when the processor starts up standardly: all indicators are on, all fans are working, a characteristic post-signal has passed, after which the operating system starts up, but the monitor does not display any image. The check must be carried out in a certain sequence, since there are more common causes of problems and vice versa.
- First of all, it is necessary to check whether the cables are connected correctly. Naturally, at first it’s worth checking the cable that supplies electrical energy for the display to function. If it is not damaged and connected correctly, the socket with which it is connected is also working and there are no defects in the connector on the monitor (if the cable is not soldered), then go to the video cable. Most often, a VGA cable is used to transmit video signals, and recently the HDMI standard has become popular, however, connectors for it are available exclusively in the latest monitor models. The stages of checking this component are not much different from the previous one. If the cause of the problem was found, and it consisted in one of the cables, then it can be solved quite simply. replace or repair the defective cord.
- Since the stage of submitting the image to the screen begins when the BIOS starts, the problem may well be hiding there. Naturally, in the absence of an image, changing any settings will be problematic, but you can reset them. To do this, you need to open the system unit and remove the battery located on the motherboard. Many people don’t even know about its existence, but in fact, such a “crumb” stores the most important BIOS settings and if it is absent, the computer starts up with default values each time. It is necessary to get it only for a few minutes and then return it to its place. Perhaps the problem will be resolved.
- Next, you need to check the operability and correctness of the installation of RAM. It will not be difficult to get boards from the system unit, and their functionality in the computer is so extensive that it is quite possible that the monitor does not receive images precisely because of a failure in this component. You can combine this action with removing the battery, since it will take all no more than 5 minutes. RAM cards must not only be pulled out, but also cleaned of dust (not with your hands!). It is better to use a napkin that will not leave fibers on the pins. It is also worth cleaning the slots for installing boards.
- Next, you need to check the performance of the video card, since this is the most important device that is responsible for supplying the video signal to the monitor, for image quality, as well as for the performance of everything that functions in direct contact with the video image. First of all, it is necessary to disconnect this device and clean it of dust. Next, we check the plate on which all the contacts, resistors, transistors, etc. are applied, if there are dark spots on it, then this indicates a repeated overheating of the device, which could lead to malfunctions. The problem can be quickly resolved by replacing the video card or connecting the cable to another connector if the computer has a discrete video adapter (built into the motherboard). Repair of a non-working device can only be performed at a service center. In the end, in order to return the computer to full functionality, it will be necessary in time to acquire a new video card, possibly with the best technical characteristics, which will also become an update for the computer.
- The problem may also be hidden in the power supply unit (PSU), since this device supplies electric current, after converting it, to all devices in the computer. Accordingly, a PSU malfunction can lead to a visual start of the computer, but there will be enough current only to spin coolers and blink indicators. At the same time, the video card simply will not start its work synchronously with other components. The problem is also solved by replacement or repair in the service center.
- A commonplace problem may be caused by dusting the main functional parts of the computer. It is recommended that you clean your computer at all regularly, since dusty contacts may not work at startup, dusty coolers will not effectively cool devices, and a dusty video card may burn out at some point. Cleaning can be done using a regular brush and vacuum cleaner at low power, or using a compressor or a can of compressed air.
- If all the above methods did not give the expected result, then the last step in the verification should be the assessment of the working capacity of the motherboard and (extremely rarely) the processor. On his own, a person who does not have a certain set of knowledge in electrical engineering is unlikely to be able to solve the problem and perform diagnostics. Of course, you can solder failed capacitors, but no more. If the malfunction lies in just one of these components, then you will have to contact a service center.
Usually, all the procedures described in this article, when carried out sequentially, help to cope with this problem. The main thing is to follow the instructions, since any little thing can actually block the video signal to the monitor. If the problem is not solved, then you should contact the service center, as Repair work must be carried out by specialists. Naturally, if this does not concern the repair of an electric cable, which can be performed by any technically savvy owner.