Yorkshire terriers are small funny pets playing companions. Owners must take care of the crumbs and take care not only of their beautiful coat, but no less of their diet. And here there are a number of subtleties that should be taken into account when choosing a balanced menu for a pet. So, we will understand, than to feed a Yorkshire terrier.
Natural Products for Yorkies
If the owner intends to feed his tiny pet with natural products, then the diet should contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals. In addition, it is important to pay attention to the combination of protein, carbohydrate and fatty foods.
As with other predatory animals, yes, yes, these lovely ones are also predators, meat should be the basis of the diet. It is given raw, pre-scalded with boiling water. Among the most desirable types of meat include veal, beef, chicken breast. 25% of the diet should take boiled grits – buckwheat and rice. York must be given 1 yolk of boiled hard-boiled eggs – chicken or quail. How many times a day? Better to answer by week. About 2-3 times a week.
It is worth noting that fermented milk products must be present in the diet of the Yorkshire terrier. This may be low-fat kefirchik, cottage cheese with the addition of calcium, fermented baked milk, yogurt without additives. Although the dogs themselves mostly eat it, but such selectivity of pets is usually not very disturbing to the owners, as they are happy to eat vegetable and fruit dishes. And the dogs like them both raw and boiled.
Veterinarians are also advised to treat a dog with fish and seafood at least once a week. Yorks do not give up shrimp, squid, which are sources of minerals and iodine. There are proportions that you should stick to so that the dog gets everything you need:
- 1/2 – animal protein;
- 1/4 – fruit and vegetable food;
- 1/4 – cereals.
Prepare the above ingredients separately from each other, and then mix. The list of products allowed for feeding Yorkshire terriers includes the following:
- Meat products and offal: meat of calves, beef, chicken fillet, chicken hearts and liver, beef heart and liver.
- Porridge – from rice, buckwheat, wheat, millet. It is possible to prepare combined dishes.
- Fresh and boiled vegetables – cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, spinach leaves, pumpkin slices, zucchini, beets.
- Fresh herbs – parsley, onion, dill.
- From fruit yorkam can give a few bananas, apples, melons, watermelon, persimmon.
- From the fish in the diet can include flounder, tuna, herring.
Food for small pets is recommended to cut into small slices, it should be freshly prepared. Give it better in the form of heat. With natural nutrition, a four-legged friend should receive an additional feed containing vitamins and trace elements.
What should not be in the York diet
In fact, very many of the products are absolutely not suitable for feeding dogs, including Yorkshire terriers. Some of them are frankly harmful, others are not absorbed by a dog’s body at all, others are akin to poison that kills a pet slowly but surely. So, what little york should never eat?
- Dishes to the dog should be prepared without salt, pepper, oriental spices, sugar and various kinds of seasonings.
- Fish should be marine, but not freshwater.
- It excludes fatty meats, especially lamb, beef and pork belly.
- Sausages and smoked meats, beloved by all four-legged pets, are extremely harmful for Yorkies.
- Among vegetables, it is undesirable for dogs to give turnips, among fruits – citruses.
- Any sweet food is also strictly prohibited.
- Pasta, bread and other pastries made from wheat flour should not be given to York.
- Protein eggs in the raw stomach of the dog is not digested.
- Milk in an adult pet can cause diarrhea;
- Meat, mushroom broths are hard food for the dog.
You can not give York bones, especially for tubular and other bones with cavities (more about what bones can be given to the dog).
Ready meals for Yorkshire terriers
Despite the fact that dry food has firmly entered the lives of dog breeders and the rations of their pets, there is no consensus on feeding them to the Yorkshire terriers. Many veterinarians categorically do not recommend feeding the puppy of the Yorkshire terrier only by drying. But the owners found a way out in this situation, alternating dry granules with canned food.
Choose high-quality food – premium or super-premium. Given the size of the Yorkies, this should be a diet for small breeds. Among the popular brands that are most often chosen by owners of Yorkshire terriers, the following can be noted:
- Royal Canin – in the line of these French feeds you can find two rations suitable for Yorkies – Mini Edelt 27 for small breeds and Mini Sensible for small dogs with problematic digestion.
- Orient is a Canadian product whose manufacturers care not only about the benefits, but also about the taste of the diet.
- Measure Dog – a number of antioxidants that protect dogs from adverse external conditions are a part of food from the USA.
- Akana – feed from Canada, which is distinguished by high quality.
The advantages of feed are obvious – they are designed to meet the needs of certain breeds, they have the most balanced various ingredients and the calculation of the portion is utterly simplified. What can not be said about natural products.
Than to feed the Yorkshire terrier at home, the owner chooses, however, it is necessary to focus on the needs and taste preferences of the four-legged friend.