In order for your pet to always be healthy and cheerful, it must fully eat, and most importantly – on time. It is recommended to feed the dogs at the same time every day, this is especially important for puppies.
But, not every owner has such an opportunity, since he is at work, he is forced to leave home for work. For this purpose, there are automatic feeders for dogs. Such devices are also intended for feeding cats.
What are auto feeders, how to use them and whether you can make them yourself, you will learn from the article.
Auto feeder for dogs and the principle of its work
The function of the automatic feeder for dogs or cats is that the animal must be fed on time and in accordance with the rules regarding servings. The required program is set by the owner manually, and the automatic feeder already performs one or another mode, while dispensing feed. This dog feeder is very convenient if you do not have time to feed your pet at the right time.
The principle of operation of the feeder, regardless of the model, is the same:
- In the container we fill the dry food or lay canned;
- From it, food at the right time in a limited amount is fed into the tray;
- Their tray animal and will eat it when dinner time comes;
- Automatics will strictly comply with the established rate of volume, and the animal will not eat too much.
Manufacturers of auto feeders often release them separately for dogs and cats, some models are also designed for a particular breed with a different amount of food intake – from 1 to 4 times a day. If you go somewhere for a few days, and your pet is still small and eats according to the “children’s” schedule, and not twice a day, then it will be very convenient. A number of models can be programmed even for a period of one day, while the dog will fully eat all this time.
There are more “advanced” devices that can be programmed for different dosages of feed depending on time of day, Some models even have a function to record the owner’s voice and play it periodically so that the dog does not get bored alone. In others, the possibility of installing an ice tank is even provided.
What should be a dog feeder
A dog feeder for a dog in size should be selected depending on the size of your animal. If we are talking about a puppy, which in the future will grow to 70 cm at the withers or higher, it is recommended to buy adult feeder and an adapter for measuring small portions of puppy food. The adapter is installed in the feeder, and you will not need to buy a small one. And given the fact that the feeders themselves are not cheap, then buying them every time as the animal matures will be very expensive.
You can buy a ready-made car feeder:
Many are interested in whether it is difficult to teach a dog to automatically feed. But actually it is not very difficult. The animal will quickly learn to the sound signal, which means “it’s time to eat”, at this moment he develops a conditioned reflex.
To teach a little puppy to sound signals that symbolize the beginning and end of the meal, you can on built in device Voice recorder to record either your voice or some kind of signal. For example, you can record your voice, where you will call a pet for dinner. Such a recording will be played at the right time, and the dog will respond to it every time and resort to the feeder.
How to make a self-feeder with your own hands
If the purchased auto feeder is very expensive for you, you can make it yourself from scrap materials. How this is done, we describe below.
Automatic feeder for animals based on hours
To make such a device, prepare the following:
- Wall quartz clock;
- Pure clay or a bowl of the desired volume with branches;
- A sheet of thin plastic or plywood for the cover;
- Wooden plank;
- Plastic or can with a wide bottom;
- Scissors or nippers;
- Nails (2 pcs.);
- Wire (soft);
- Rubber suction cups.
Be sure to note that the materials do not contain toxic substances.
The action algorithm is as follows:
- We take the old clock and extract the mechanism from it;
- Approximately 4 cm from the bottom of the can, draw a line on it with a marker;
- Scissors or pliers cut the bank along the line;
- If the can is tin, but its sharp edges need to be sanded with a file. If it is made of plastic, then uneven edges can be treated with a cigarette lighter;
Cut a blank from the wooden plank that fits the size of the clockwork. The thickness of the plank should be sufficient so that the arrows of the device slightly protrude above the can, and the device with a wooden block is placed in it;
- On the basis of clay we make a food tank with 4 compartments and a notch for a clock mechanism located in the middle. A finished bowl should be placed freely, but not hang out in the bank. The container of clay should harden, then it is burned in an oven at a temperature of 200 degrees, leave it for about 2-3 hours. So that the bowl does not crack and no cracks appear on it, the product should be put in a cold oven. This is a jar and a bowl will be matched in size, this will not be required to do;
- Bend the hour hand in half, wrap it with tape and fasten it on the mechanism;
- We insert a working battery into the mechanism and fasten this device in a food bowl with soft wire in the inner recess;
- For the cover, cut a circle on the basis of light plastic or thin plywood in accordance with the diameter of the can;
- In the center of the lid, we make a hole for the rotational upper element of the mechanism in the form of a white screw for fastening the arrows;
- Cut a segment on the lid that corresponds in size to the compartment in the food bowl;
- We drive two nails into the lid so that an hour hand wound with tape can fit between them. And the heads of the nails need to drive in so that they do not protrude above the lid. Cut with nippers the sharp ends of the nails so that they do not touch the case of the clock mechanism;
- We make a small cover out of plywood;
- From the mechanism we get a metal pin, where the second hand is attached. It must be attached to the bottom of a small plywood cover. Insert the second hand into the pin and cut off the protruding parts, then glue with tape;
- We install a small plywood cover on a large blank;
- At the bottom of the finished car feeder we attach rubber suction so that it is stable;
- You can decorate the finished feeder.
Then animal feed is poured into the feeder, and it will be provided with food during the day.
To feed your pet not only with dry food using a homemade automatic feeder, to the bottom of the can It is recommended to put some ice, then you can put there not only dry food, but also wet or homemade food.
How to make a feeder on the basis of plastic bottles
For such a device you will need:
- Plastic bottles of 5 liters – 2 pieces;
- Stationery knife or scissors;
- Glue gun;
This is done like this:
- The bottom of one of the bottles is cut with scissors or a stationery knife. Then we cut the bottom of the jar so that the so-called scoop comes out. It will serve as a feed tray;
- In the second can you need to cut a hole at the bottom of the height of the pallet;
- Insert the pallet into the hole;
- Feeder fasten glue or awl with a cord;
- Pour food into it.
But be aware that bottle-based car feeders for dogs and cats can only be suitable for dry food. It is also very convenient to use if there are several pets in the house.
Plastic Container Feeder
Unlike the previous two homemade devices This feeder only works when the animal asks for food. To make it, prepare:
- The container with the handle plastic;
- Plastic bottle;
- Office clip;
- A small ball, the diameter of which should be slightly larger than a bottleneck;
- Paper clips;
- Elastic rope, for example, a dense elastic band;
- Office knife or scissors.
Instructions for work this:
- The bottle is cut so that it corresponds in length to the plastic container;
- In the bottom of the container, you need to cut a small circle to fit the bottleneck;
- Make holes in the lid of the plastic container;
- Insert the bottle into the container;
- We tie a ball with a rope and stretch it through the neck of the bottle, then fasten it in the openings of the bottles;
- We pour food into a bottle and fasten a plastic container at a height sufficient for the animal to reach there with a foot;
- Under the design set the feeder.
The principle of operation of such a device is very simple: animal beats paw on the ball and in the bowl pours food. It works only for dry food. Previously you will need to train your pet to work with such a feeder.